Policy Director - Decision Maker Education & Engagement
Advanced Energy Economy
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Advanced Energy United (formerly known as Advanced Energy Economy) educates, engages, and advocates for policies that allow our member companies to compete to power our economy with 100% clean energy. We work with decisionmakers at every level of government, as well as regulators of energy markets to achieve this goal. The businesses we represent are lowering consumer costs, creating millions of new jobs, and providing the full range of clean, efficient, and reliable energy and transportation solutions. Today, our industry employs more than 3.3 million Americans. Together, we are united in our mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy in the United States. If you’re an entrepreneurial, innovative, analytical and thoughtful person looking to make an impact in the clean energy space, United might be the perfect place for you to share your talents. Team members at United are given the trust and responsibility to make big things happen, and myriad opportunities to learn new skills, explore new issue areas, and work with a broad cross section of the clean energy community. Being a team member at United also means working with a talented and diverse group of people, some who bring decades of experience spanning advocacy, philanthropy, clean tech, government and more—and our collaborative approach means we get to learn from each other, expert and novice, every day. And while our organization is fully remote, we are proud of the people-focused culture we have built and the connectedness of our team.We work on serious issues, take our mission seriously, but never take ourselves too seriously. Position DescriptionAdvanced Energy United is currently seeking a smart, innovative, and politically savvy individual to join the policy team at the Director level. The Director will work with other Advanced Energy United team members to accelerate the U.S.’s transition to 100% clean energy and clean transportation. This work will involve bipartisan relationship building and developing and implementing multi-year strategies.The ideal candidate will be a motivated, self-starting professional with a background in state-level advocacy, experience with clean energy technologies and coalition building, and knowledge of both the legislative and public utility regulatory arenas. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills and will be someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment. Responsibilities
- Develop and implement multi-year strategies.
- Identify and develop relationships with new national and state-based allies.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with key regulatory, legislative and administrative decision makers and staff, as well as Advanced Energy United staff, members, and partners.
- Collaborate with Advanced Energy United’s HR team on recruitment, training and coaching.
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Economics, Law or Engineering preferred, or applicable comparable experience
- 7-15 years of professional experience and engagement in the clean energy sector
- Political campaign or organizing experience, preferably in the clean energy space
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with Advanced Energy United’s mission/vision
- Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell Advanced Energy United and its value proposition to those audiences
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills required; candidates must be able to successfully develop and maintain genuine and productive relationships with members, industry stakeholders, policymakers, and other key contacts.
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Candidates must be very comfortable working in an environment with remote colleagues, creating new projects, building their own calendar, and delivering on high expectations.
- A deep network of relevant contacts in the energy sector is a plus; recruitment experience a plus; coaching experience a plus.
- Ability to travel as needed
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families,
- Medical premiums covered for employees at 100%
- Flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care
- Profit Sharing opportunities, and annual merit-based compensation increases
- $50/month personal wellness reimbursement
- $50/month phone stipend
- Accrued Paid Time Off, 11 Federal Holidays, and an annual end-of-year closure
- Up to $200 reimbursement for home office set-up
- Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement, and professional development reimbursement
- 401(k) plan (with matching incentives)
- WMATA Transit Smart Benefits (DMV employees)