Energy Regulatory Policy Director - Central
Advanced Energy Economy
Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Energy Regulatory Policy Director – CentralAdvanced Energy United (formerly known as Advanced Energy Economy) educates, engages, and advocates for policies that allow our member companies to compete to repower our economy with 100% clean energy. We work with decision makers at every level of government, as well as regulators of energy markets to achieve this goal. The businesses we represent are lowering consumer costs, creating millions of new jobs, and providing the full range of clean, efficient, and reliable energy and transportation solutions. Today, our industry employs more than 3.3 million Americans. Together, we are united in our mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy in the United States. If you’re an entrepreneurial, innovative, analytical and thoughtful person looking to make an impact in the clean energy space, United might be the perfect place for you to share your talents. Team members at United are given the trust and responsibility to make big things happen, and myriad opportunities to learn new skills, explore new issue areas, and work with a broad cross section of the clean energy community. Being a team member at United also means working with a talented and diverse group of people, some who bring decades of experience spanning advocacy, philanthropy, clean tech, government and more—and our collaborative approach means we get to learn from each other, expert and novice, every day. And while our organization is fully remote, we are proud of the people-focused culture we have built and the connectedness of our team.We work on serious issues, take our mission seriously, but never take ourselves too seriously. Position Description Advanced Energy United (United) seeks an experienced, strategic and innovative Energy Regulatory Director with a focus on regulatory strategy and engagement to join Advanced Energy United’s team. The Director will work with other United team members to develop and implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to achieve policy successes at the state level that will expand markets for the advanced energy industry and accelerate the U.S. transition to 100% clean energy.Working in close coordination with the regional Managing Director for our Central states, the Regulatory Policy Director will develop and execute a comprehensive regulatory engagement strategy at public utility commissions and other state agencies that covers the full scope of our clean energy and transportation priorities. This includes educating commissioners and staff, working with other stakeholders, and engaging in a range of proceedings, from investigatory to fully litigated. In addition, the Director will manage and mentor early career team members who will carry out the day-to-day state regulatory work. Geographic focus for this position: United’s Central states currently include: In the Midwest/ Central: IN, IL, MI, TX. Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with Advanced Energy United team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key states as part of Advanced Energy United’s core portfolio. The focus will be on regulatory engagement.
- Work with Advanced Energy United member companies to develop and reach consensus on policy positions in targeted states and on key issues. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Develop and file comments at state utility commissions on key regulatory issues that move us towards 100% advanced energy, including utility business model reform, performance-based regulation, resource planning, rate design, data access, grid modernization, and other related areas.
- As needed, participate in legislative, rulemaking, and administrative processes, including utility commission stakeholder process, workshops and similar activities.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, allies, and key legislative, regulatory and administrative staff, with a focus on utility commissions.
- Work with Advanced Energy United communications staff to identify and seize opportunities to showcase stories and evidence of the advanced energy economy taking hold in the states. As needed, draft press statements, write blog posts, participate in webinars, and create opportunities to showcase advanced energy.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%) to targeted states for technical conferences, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of Advanced Energy United.
- Working with the Managing Director of the Central region, support Advanced Energy United’s annual portfolio planning process with quantitative analysis of advanced energy market potential and emissions benefits.
- Manage/mentor/develop Associates, Principals and Senior Principals
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Political Science, Public Policy preferred, or applicable comparable experience. Master's degree is a plus.
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience which should include: experience with utility regulatory proceedings and policy development; engagement in the energy or transportation sectors; a network of relevant contacts in these sectors is a plus.
- Strategic thinker: can look at the big picture goal and define how to get there
- Exceptional professional writing skills, particularly regulatory filings.
- Interest and facility in market economics and understanding of market levers to scale clean energy.
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral required; Candidates must be able to successfully develop and maintain productive relationships with members, industry stakeholders, policymakers, and other key contacts
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, analytical and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Must be clean energy focused
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Must be willing to travel up to 30%
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families,
- Medical premiums covered for employees at 100%
- Flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care
- Profit sharing opportunities, and annual merit-based compensation increases
- $50/month personal wellness reimbursement
- $50/month mobile phone stipend
- Paid Time Off including accrual, 11 Federal Holidays, and an annual end-of-year closure
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement, and professional development reimbursement
- 401(k) plan (with matching incentives)
- WMATA Transit Smart Benefits (DMV employees)