Gainesville, FL, USA
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2022
This position requires day to day direct involvement in planning, leading and conducting a wide array of activities including targeting, home visits, leadership recruitment and development, and volunteer training. Incumbent is also responsible for running elections, initiating card check and other campaigns, conducting first contract campaigns, assisting affiliates with developing strategies for contract fights and anti-privatization campaigns. Oversees the regional pink tag operation, conducts officer suspension investigations and assisting affiliates to build capacity as defined in the unions AFSCME Strong goals.
- Responsible for coordinating the resources and services provided in the assigned area in the most efficient, economical and effective manner possible.
- Supervises International Union Representatives, Field Office Assistants, OITs, Organizers, and Lead organizers in daily activities.
- Monitors the effectiveness of supervised staff by measuring progress against goals, directly observing their skills and coaching them to meet expectations.
- Conducts performance appraisals and establishes and monitors development plans and performance improvement plans.
- Applies, with deep expertise and proficiency, all elements of the AFSCME Strong program with the capacity to model and coach on all facets of the AFSCME Organizing Model.
- Researches potential organizing targets. Analyzes data and applies other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing. Conducts and may lead the investigation of organizing targets to gather data and information, build a list of workers, assess worker interest, and scouts out the physical plant without divulging the unions presence.
- Writes campaign plans and ensures that the written plans of team members are appropriate for the overall plan. Planning includes resource and staff needs as well as operational activities.
- Performs affiliate officer suspension investigations.
- Oversees local union administratorships. Ensures the overall ADM objectives and goals are met within the time parameters of the overall plan.
- Oversees the regional pink tag operation.
- Integrates into campaign activities, performs organizing assignments of all kinds and serves as a role model to new staff.
- Directs Organizer recruitment activities.
- Develops and implements Organizer development trainings and activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of five (5) years of union experience demonstrating progressive advancement, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of training and principles of effective supervision and mentoring.
- Extensive knowledge of union organizing practice and principles.
- Extensive knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing and representation.
- Extensive knowledge of AFSCME’s internal structure and experience in working with subordinate bodies.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information to evaluate targets, develop strategies and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences to include managers, colleagues, prospective union members, targeted employers, affiliates etc.
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate experienced organizing staff, volunteer organizers and committee members.
- Ability to work effectively with Council and Local Union staff on a project basis.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and some abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and, to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written and oral form.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications.
Travel & Work Hours:
- Work is performed in a variety of employment settings including workers’ homes and neighborhoods. Driving, travel, temporary assignments, and extended work hours are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Posting Date: June 29, 2022
See more open positions at AFSCME
Something looks off?