Administrative Assistant II
AFSCME Local 3299 is a hard-fighting, progressive union, representing more than 28,000 University of California essential workers.
Since 1948, we’ve prided ourselves on effectively representing UC workers while relentlessly fighting to provide social justice and economic opportunity to both our members and to the greater public we serve.
To learn more about AFSCME 3299, please visit our webpage: https://afscme3299.org/
We are seeking a responsible, high-energy, mature, well-organized, Administrative Assistant to perform a variety of administrative and clerical tasks. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of having worked in a fast-paced office environment and be capable of handling multiple and diverse assignments. Labor or campaign experience preferred.
Responsibilities will include:
- Answer phone calls, provide information to callers or connect callers to appropriate people and respond to e‐mail inquiries.
- Greet and provide general front support to visitors and staff.
- Provide general clerical support to staff in HQ Office and satellite offices statewide.
- Collate, process and distribute all incoming and outgoing mail for Satellite Offices
- Make travel arrangements, schedule appointments and update calendars.
- Prepare communications, such as emails, reports and type regular correspondence, such as Membership Enrollment and Cancellation letters to University of California statewide.
- Database management for our Membership Portfolio.
- Create spreadsheets and assist, when necessary, in the development and preparation of presentation material, campaign material, and campaign propaganda.
- Maintain filing systems, both electronic and physical.
- Coordinate and plan logistics for rallies and other actions/events, including onsite support.
- Travel statewide to other satellite offices and Headquarters in Oakland, CA.
- Other administrative support as assigned by the Administrative Manager
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience of two (2) years or more as an administrative assistant.
- In-dept understanding of office management and daily operations.
- Hands on experience with MS Office Suite, Google Suite, Adobe, DocuSign, Zoom and Database entry.
- Working knowledge of office equipment, like printers, fax machines, scanners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to type an average of 60 words per minute, (proof required)
- Possess a valid CA Driver’s License and at least one (1) year of driving experience.
- High School Diploma or AA Degree required.
Bilingual Spanish/Chinese and other languages are a plus, but not required.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA)
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Work is performed in a variety of employment settings. Driving, travel, temporary assignments, irregular and extended work hours are required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
AFSCME 3299’s members are a diverse group of workers reflecting all of California, and are mostly people of color and women. We are an equal opportunity employer without discrimination on age, gender, race, disability or any other characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment.
Something looks off?