AFSCME District Council 57 is a progressive, member-driven labor union dedicated to empowering and securing dignity and respect for all workers in California. Organizing workers is paramount to ensure that all workers can build a brighter future that includes workplace democracy and equality. The Council represents approximately 35,000 public and private workers in California and is poised for further growth.
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
EMPLOYER: AFSCME District COUNCIL 57
SUMMARY: The Executive Director is appointed by the Executive Board and shall serve at the direction of the Executive Board and be an advisor. All actions taken by the Executive Director or designee on behalf of the Council shall be subject to review by the Executive Board. The Executive Director shall assign and supervise employees of the Council. The Executive Director also shall represent the union in various coalitions to promote the interests of the members. This work will be conducted both remotely and in person.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Structural Management
- Makes major organizational decisions for the Council.
- Works closely in tandem with the Executive Board.
- Reports to and advises the Executive Board and its committees.
- Keeps abreast of public sector labor trends.
- Fosters good working relationships with elected officials, labor councils, other unions and community groups.
- Prepares and submits regular reports to the Executive Board and the Delegate assembly.
- Provides a collaborative work environment with good communication skills.
- Puts the Council’s policies, goals and objectives at the forefront.
- Executes the policies established by the Executive Board.
- Assigns Council’s resources to programs and projects, as necessary.
- Develops and delivers education and training for the staff, leadership, and activists.
- Provides fiscal oversight including day to day spending and asset management for Council 57 staff.
- Assures compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
IDEAL CANDIDATE’S QUALITIES
Institutional Leadership – Exercises inclusive and decisive leadership to advance the mission, and vision, and strategic plan of AFSCME District Council 57 and the American Federation of State Local and Municipal Employees.
Long Range Planning – Maintains focus on the strategic goals and priorities established by a systematic strategic planning process, and successful implementation of the plan in a rapidly changing environment.
Stewardship of Financial Resources – Provides oversight and necessary due diligence to ensure the financial health of the Council is assessed on a continuous basis.
Organizational Effectiveness and Accountability – Maintains focus on continuous improvements and assessment to insure effectiveness and efficiency of Council 57 programs and services.
Public Policy Advocacy – Serves as a key player in championing pro-worker public policies in California, working with coalition allies and key stakeholders and politicians.
Staff Relations – Supports high standards of work on behalf of Council 57, Locals and their members. Building effective, collaborative relationships with the Council employees and their representing staff Unions and Directors.
- At least 10 years of combined representational and organizing experience (internal and external) in the labor movement, or employee advocacy groups.
- A record of leadership experience in positions of increasing responsibility in a labor organization including work in a management position for 3 years.
- Ability to travel across the state and nationally, as required.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and insurance and an operational vehicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree or any combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent; Graduate degree preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
AFSCME District Council 57 is prepared to offer a generous and competitive salary, defined benefit pension plan, and benefits package consistent with experience, skills and demonstrated abilities. The salary range for the position starts at $155,000.
- Must have received, or be willing to receive, the Covid-19 vaccination by the date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND FAIRNESS
AFSCME District Council 57 provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
HOW TO APPLY
Something looks off?