Legislative & Political Organizer
AFSCME Local 3299 is a hard-fighting, progressive union representing the more than 28,000 University of California essential workers.
Since 1948, we’ve prided ourselves on effectively representing UC workers while relentlessly fighting to provide social justice and economic opportunity to our members and the greater public we serve.
To learn more about AFSCME 3299, please visit our webpage: https://afscme3299.org/
The duties and responsibilities of the Legislative and Political Organizer shall be to:
1. Translate complex, high-level legislation and data work into applicable messages, strategies, and tactics for lobby visits, letters, and testimony.
2. Prepare and present testimony on behalf of the organization during legislative hearings, forums, and meetings.
3. Monitor bills and draft appropriate correspondence and statements are reflecting the Union’s position.
4. Assist with overall AFSCME 3299 lobbying efforts.
5. Develop and expand our lobbying efforts with state and local legislators, and carry out an educational program with elected officials.
6. Organize 3299 field campaigns to pass legislation and elect pro-worker-endorsed candidates.
7. Provide State Political Director with legislative reports and memos on a timely basis.
8. Play a role in polling, voter targeting, and effective campaign message development.
9. Play a role in creating and supporting education, labor, community and political meetings, rallies, conferences, and events.
10. Help foster 3299 presence at critical education, labor, community, political meetings, rallies, conferences, and events.
11. Help identify and develop potential local candidates for boards and commissions.
12. Support efforts related to candidate endorsement, including candidate interviews and materials, interfacing with Labor Councils across the state, and tracking the candidate endorsement process.
13. Support efforts to increase PEOPLE membership and contribution levels by developing and implementing an outreach plan that includes member volunteers, union leaders,
and staff participation. Create and implement skills training programs for members and supporters around leadership development, political advocacy, field campaign implementation, and direct action organizing.
14. Perform additional duties and responsibilities related to AFSCME 3299 political capacity as assigned.
Directions and Decision Making:
The Legislative and Political Organizer will report to the Political Director.
Education and Experience:
1. Three (3) to Five (5) years of political, legislative, or issue campaign experience.
2. Must be familiar with public higher education, union, and electoral dynamics.
3. Working knowledge of California politics and the legislative process.
4. Demonstrated understanding of implementing political campaigns.
5. Skills in leading teams within field campaigns.
6. Public speaking and written presentation skills.
7. Strong multi-tasking capacity while working with deadlines
8. Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
9. Travel required and willingness to work long and irregular hours.
10. College degree or equivalent related work experience.
● Extended day and occasional overnight travel.
● Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
● Must possess a valid California driver's license, auto insurance with business coverage, and an automobile for business use.
● Bilingual (English/ Spanish) preferred
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA):
Work is performed in a variety of employment settings. Driving, travel, temporary assignments, and irregular and extended work hours are required.
AFSCME 3299’s members are a diverse group of workers reflecting all of California and are primarily people of color and women. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage all those qualified and interested to apply.
Salary depends on experience with a comprehensive benefits package including fully paid Kaiser medical, dental, vision insurance for self and family, business allowance, car insurance, and educational reimbursement.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references Legislative & Political Organizer in the subject line to Libertad Ayala at: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls will be accepted.
Something looks off?