Political Action Representative I
Sacramento, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
This position provides support to the state legislative team, including direct lobbying, grassroots lobbying, preparing reports, researching bills, budgets, and legislation. Works with members and affiliates on legislation and lobbying, including preparing testimony and public releases.
- Provides mobilization support for federal, state, and local elections, including candidate, legislative, issue, and PEOPLE fundraising campaigns.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring political campaigns and electoral programs in California that support the goals and objectives of AFSCME’s Political Action Department.
- Manages field programs including, but not limited to, voter registration, member mobilization, voter contact and get-out-the-vote activities in assigned campaigns.
- Develops campaign plans with appropriate goals and benchmarks.
- Develops relationships and works with allies, including other labor unions, progressive groups, candidates and parties to build progressive strength while representing AFSCME’s interests.
- Assesses and tracks programs for AFSCME field operations, providing reports and analyzing data as required.
- Promotes and implements the PEOPLE program and represents the department at various forums and functions.
- Utilizes advanced targeting, data and research to enhance field programs.
- Conducts political training workshops in political motivation, campaign activities and member involvement to acquaint members with AFSCME’s position on political, legislative and administrative issues and matters of importance.
- Assesses candidates on federal, state, and local levels of government to determine candidate viability and recommend degree of union involvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in Labor Relations, Political Science or Government.
- A minimum of three (3) years of related work experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local campaign finance regulations and laws.
- Knowledge of campaign targeting techniques.
- Knowledge of scientific polling techniques.
- Knowledge of computer software associated with potential campaign data gathering or planning.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure within tight deadlines.
- Ability to assist in the development of training curriculum and conduct workshops.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing in large and small group settings.
- Ability to assess political situations and develop appropriate campaign strategies.
Travel and work hours:
- Extensive travel, extended work hours, and a valid driver’s license are required.
See more open positions at AFSCME
Something looks off?