AFSCME Council 4 is currently accepting applications for the following position: (job description below)
Please submit a cover letter, résumé and writing sample to:
AFSCME Council 4
C/O: Megan Batchelder, Executive Assistant
444 East Main Street
New Britain, CT 06051
Closing Date: Friday, June 2, 2023, by 5:00 pm
Council 4 seeks a Communications Assistant. Communications Assistants work as a team with the Communication department assisting with the internal member communications and training members and leaders on all aspects of communication.
- Write leaflets, bulletins, update websites, social media posts, news releases, create fact sheets, assist with talking points and other materials.
- Assist with the production of internal member communications in print and on digital platforms, such as mass texting and emailing.
- Assist with union members in spokesperson trainings, interviews, photo, and video shoots, and participating in events and actions.
- Documents events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms.
- Trains and educates members and leaders on social media, applications, and website platforms.
- This is a field staff position and will allow staff to flex hours due to weekend and evening responsibilities.
- 1 year experience with media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications.
- Background in union mobilization, communications, or advocacy work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of different backgrounds, race, ethnicities, income levels, life experiences, etc.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need.
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
- Bilingual a plus.
- Experience using with communications software/platforms/applications/social media.
Performs tasks independently, works under the limited supervision of the Council 4 Leadership with guidance from senior departmental staff.
Starting salary is $76,816.46. Salary increases are in accordance with the ACES Union contract.
Work is generally performed in field setting, such as, an office, state, and municipal building and outside, to include door knocking. Requires travel and a valid driver's license.
Something looks off?