Labor Representative/ Organizer
PURPOSE: The Labor Representative/Organizer is responsible for serving the membership of AFSCME 65 through hands on fieldwork organizing actions, engaging membership, enforcing and negotiating the collective bargaining agreements, and educating membership. The key candidate will understand the value of an organized workforce and be willing to devote their career to ensuring its success and stability.
- Build relationships with member leaders throughout assigned service district;
- Enforce collective bargaining agreements including all steps of grievance handling;
- Mentor membership through attendance at Labor Management Meetings and Insurance Committee Meetings;
- Serve as the Chief Negotiator of CBA’s including filing reopeners, organizing workers to support proposals, research, and drafting proposals;
- Serve as a resource to members for legislative issues, trends in bargaining, and other matters related to terms and conditions of employment;
- Educates officers, stewards, members to empower them;
- Build worker power through 1 on 1 conversations following the AFSCME Strong model;
- Lead teams of member organizers to build worker power and accomplish the goals of the Local;
- Communicate efficiently through production of written materials including leaflets, fliers, and letters to meet membership needs;
- Ability to learn Council databases (Unionware and VAN) as needed to ensure updated data;
- Updates supervisor with necessary information through established check-ins to ensure appropriate representation for membership.
Position may not include all the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in this classification.
DIRECTIONS AND DECISION MAKING:
This position reports to the Director of Collective Bargaining on a regular basis and will be expected to keep their supervisor regularly apprised of developments on all labor relations activities. This position requires self-accountability, independent decision making, ability to think on your feet and prioritize issues in a value-based context. Physical location of position is at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications;
- Ability to train and educate others;
- Ability to learn Federal and State labor laws and execute them;
- Required to work irregular/extended work hours, including evenings, with occasional in-state overnight stays;
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate member leaders and organizing committee members;
- Ability to self-motivate, work independently, and stay on task and on time;
- Ability to drive long distances and maintain a valid driver's license;
- Experience with Outlook, Microsoft Office and
- Previous member leader or experience in own Local union
- Education or past work history in Legal Studies, History, Education, or Leadership
- General knowledge of the role and duties of union officers and staff and understanding of Council 65 and AFSCME International union philosophy
- Skilled in contract negotiations, labor relations, dispute resolution
- Knowledge of union organizing practice and principles
- Knowledge of anti-union employer tactics
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Post-secondary education is preferred (2 year or 4 year degree) in a related field. High School Diploma with experience as a member of a union or experience in union organizing or advocacy is preferred. Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the primary responsibilities will be considered.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AS REQUIRED BY ADA:
- Work is performed from a field
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments, and extended work hours are
- Valid driver's license
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The ability to observe details at close
- Frequently moves boxes weighing up to 75
Must pass pre-employment physical, background check and reference check. Excellent salary and benefit package provided. The position is covered by the MIFSCA collective bargaining agreement.