United Domestic Workers of America, UDW/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 155,000 home care and family child care providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDW is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide, and at the national level.
UDW is one of California’s largest labor unions. We consistently support and lead important social justice initiatives like fighting for racial justice, income inequality, and affordable health care for all. We are committed to respect and dignity for seniors, people with disabilities, and the children in our care. We fight for better working conditions and fair pay for home care and child care providers, and full funding for life-saving programs like In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and subsidized family child care. For more information about UDW, please visit our website at www.udwa.org.
Under the direction of the Director & Assistant Director of Internal Operations, as well as the Regional Manager and the Lead Union Representative, the Union Representative will grow the member-driven union by building local and state power for workers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing and executing campaigns, including but not limited to, political elections, contract negotiations, and statewide legislative agenda.
- Mobilize workers around worksite issues, politics, public policy, and other issues affecting the lives of workers.
- Solicit memberships through orientations, AIMS, membership meetings, new member house visits, and special events.
- Attend IHSS Orientations and execute regional IHSS growth plans.
- Develop social justice, civic, and community power through local political, human rights, and health & welfare councils.
- Encourage and lead participation in political activities that hold elected officials accountable to working families.
- Build external relationships with the community, county officials, and workers to drive campaigns, develop the union, and increase public awareness.
- Identify, mentor, and develop member leaders through the leadership academy, councils, and bargaining institute.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members, identifying their abilities and potential contributions to the union.
- Carefully manage and maintain membership data to track and develop member activists, leaders, and member participation.
- Work collaboratively to identify effective communication systems to reach members and providers.
- Assist in creating print and digital communications including leaflets, flyers, photos, and social media posts.
- Provide vital member provider assistance.
- Maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
- Assist with department projects and perform other duties as assigned which are reasonably within the scope of work in this job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of labor rights, contract language, and lobbying skills.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, VAN, Organizer, and UDW database
- Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently.
- Ability to successfully manage and direct teams including member volunteers.
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends, and travel as needed.
Preferred Qualifications, Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Extensive union or comparable organizing experience
Preferred Bilingual Language(s) in either:
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
United Domestic Workers of America has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
- Health/Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life / AD&D
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Pension Plan
- Vacation Benefits
- Sick Leave
- Personal Day (8hrs)
- 13+ Paid Holidays
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily exposed to an office-type environment. The employee will frequently work on or around office equipment and furniture. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The employee will frequently work with deadlines under pressure and will occasionally be required to work alone. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor environment can include exposure to vehicles, moving mechanical parts; vibration; odors, fumes, gasses, smoke, dust, or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Women, people of color and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please visit UDW’s career page and submit your application.
UDW’s career link → https://udwa.hiringplatform.com/list/careers