Office Assistant III
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
This position provides intermediate-level clerical, administrative support and related work as required for the Assistant Director and professional staff.
- Answers incoming calls for the department, screen calls, route calls or take and deliver messages.
- Place calls as requested. Handles requests for information.
- Formats drafted correspondence, alerts and fact sheets, department reports, testimonies, and PowerPoint slides for review; and finalize as needed.
- Prepares drafted correspondence into final form for review by director. Sends final documents to recipients, including congressional staff using online data and email services.
- Sends departmental letters and alerts/fact sheets to Communications Department for posting on the AFSCME website for the professional staff they support.
- Prepares expense reports and travel arrangements for assigned staff.
- Sorts, stores, retrieves and maintains files.
- Receives and distributes incoming mail, and email to the department's email address.
- Creates and maintains various lists of members of Congress, AFSCME leaders, and other groups.
- Creates and maintains various spreadsheets for professional staff.
- Occasionally schedules congressional appointments in conjunction with legislative or other conferences.
- May be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- A minimum of (3) three years of office experience plus general knowledge of office and organizational procedures or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of the MS Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to do production typing; spreadsheet and database skills sufficient to accurately maintain records.
- Basic knowledge of office equipment.
- Must be able to independently complete assignments and work under pressure to meet tight schedules.
- Sufficient written and oral communication skills to exchange routine information.
- Strong ability to proofread documents and compose correspondence.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of general office and organizational procedures. Ability to set up and maintain a filing system.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- A working knowledge of the operations of Congress is preferred.
Travel & Work hours
- Travel and overtime hours may be required.