This position provides a full range of advanced administrative and legal support for the Office of the General Counsel. The position works in support of the General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel, and Associate General Counsels. Requires discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality of legal and personnel matters.
- Performs the full range of paralegal and administrative duties, including typing and editing correspondence, legal memoranda, and preparing letters and memoranda (some for the International President’s signature). Proofreads all work for accuracy, clarity, and completeness.
- Aids Constitution and Charter Coordinator and GC lawyers with chartering worksheets, preparing chartering and constitution letters and memoranda from draft to final form, and updating constitutions to include approved amendments.
- Manages documents and deadlines associated with AFSCME administratorships and organizing committees, including any hearings conducted.
- Edits legal briefs to make sure that citations are in conformity with applicable court and legal citation rules.
- Conducts legal research for projects as assigned, including retrieving decisions and filings from PACER, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law.
- Files briefs, motions, reports, etc., with federal and state courts, administrative and regulatory agencies. Identifies when attorneys need to file pro hac vice motions to practice in a given tribunal, and drafts and files such motions on behalf of attorneys.
- Performs the full range of paralegal duties, including preparing correspondence conforming to the AFSCME style guide, preparing exhibits for litigation and arbitration, and any other document collation to aid attorneys in conducting hearings. Coordinates the collection, review, and production of documents and responding to discovery requests.
- Summarizing deposition and trial transcripts and exhibits.
- Establishes and maintains files for pending litigation and subject matters. Maintains litigation dockets and calendars litigation deadlines.
- Maintains and updates databases.
- Assists in meeting planning for AFSCME Lawyers’ conferences and handles CLE registrations with states and distributes and maintains associated records.
- Coordinates and assists in the review of contracts by staff attorneys and maintains contracts database.
- Coordinates and assists in the maintenance of all AFSCME trademarks and IP to ensure continued ownership, as well as requests from affiliates or other organizations to trademark IP that incorporates AFSCME IU’s already-owned IP.
- Performs various Convention-related activities.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university or a certificate in Paralegal Studies in combination with prior paralegal experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant administrative support experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of legal language and principles, research methods, court pleadings and processes, and other related matters.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and to exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, Asana, and similar applications.
Travel & Work hours
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.