Retiree Member Services Technician
This position provides intermediate, direct clerical and administrative support and related work as required by the Retiree Department. It requires good writing, communication, and database skills. Attention to detail, good judgment, and discretion.
- Maintains retiree chapter leadership and department staff directory in both electronic and paper format.
- Receives and screens incoming requests via mail, email and/or telephone. Routes calls, forwards emails or takes and delivers messages appropriately. Checks/manages on the department’s voicemail. Organizes, logs (if applicable) and resolves issues with minimal supervision.
- Responds to and properly processes member and chapter requests for address changes and membership card requests; processes deceased member notifications and other requests as needed.
- Updates retiree membership information in AFSCME database systems as needed. Coordinates system for getting information about membership data changes submitted to the national union back to retiree chapter leadership. Orders or pulls membership files upon request and approval.
- Maintains inventory systems and coordinates shipping for materials, tchotchkes and other items to field staff and retiree affiliates. Works with Administrative Assistant to order more printed materials as needed. Works with department staff to recommend new tchotchkes or other materials. Makes inventory and shipping recommendations.
- Assists with the processing and data entry of retiree PEOPLE solicitation returns in conjunction with PEOPLE staff. Assists with the mailing of retiree PEOPLE "thank you” postcards. Assists field staff with processing and data entry from retiree organizing campaigns.
- Works with vendor payment systems to process payment updates, refunds, and cancellations for retiree at-large members. Coordinates with PEOPLE on online retiree contribution payment updates, refunds, and cancellations.
- Coordinates and processes one-off, weekly and annual retiree membership card runs.
- Coordinates annual membership and PEOPLE drive for retired AFSCME staff. Processes new membership and PEOPLE cards. Maintains membership files for retiree at-large and staff pension plan members. Coordinates membership updates into UnionWare.
- Coordinates billing of retiree affiliates for annual amalgamated subchapter dues rebates.
- Assists in the coordination and logistics of departmental meetings including booking and tracking registration, travel, and housing for the annual Retiree Council Meeting.
- Pulls chapter constitutions upon request. Updates and maintains Retiree Chapter Constitution binders, databases, and electronic files.
- Assists with the management of departmental files. Sorts, stores, retrieves, and maintain files – both paper and electronic. Archives, creates and updates RECALL and Wayne State logs.
- Performs other clerical tasks such as preparing travel arrangements and expense reports, ordering supplies for the department and meetings, distribution of departmental mail, assist with scheduling appointments and meetings, answering and routing telephone calls, copying and scanning documents and provides back-up clerical support to the Administrative Assistant.
- Supports Director, Assistant Director and Retiree Field Organizers as needed.
- Handles routine requests for information.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent and a minimum of (3) three years of office experience plus thorough knowledge of office and organizational procedures or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position:
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office suite – Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent database management and data analysis skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while working with minimal supervision; manage time effectively to meet deadlines and be self-motivated to learn and take on new tasks and responsibilities.
- A high degree of organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, management, and others external to AFSCME.
- Knowledge of UnionWare, UPay and VAN desired.
Travel & Work hours
- Travel and overtime hours may be required.