Data and Targeting Specialist
This position in the Data & Analytics Department is responsible for completing tasks related to assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of affiliate file processing procedures and reporting.
- Utilize advanced data management tools and techniques to conduct voter targeting and analysis for issue and electoral campaigns.
- Assist AFSCME International Staff and affiliates in developing targeting and data strategies to achieve their goals.
- Manipulate voter, membership, volunteer and other databases.
- Work with internal and external staff to establish best practices and standards for data collection, acquisition and preservation.
- Provide data and technological guidance on issue and electoral campaigns.
- Administer, support, and train users on voter file systems (Catalist and VAN).
- Coordinate large-scale voter contact programs utilizing in-house and vender-provided tools.
- Generate targeted voter/member lists for paid and volunteer contact programs including mail, canvassing, on-line and phone.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in a related field; a minimum of five (5) years of experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Effective political analysis skills.
- Extensive experience in political targeting techniques.
- Strong commitment to the labor movement, the union and its mission.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to communicate technical subjects to non–technical individuals.
- Advanced Excel skills are required and experience with database platforms like Microsoft Access and more advanced SQL and query construction.
- Familiarity with online electoral tools and datasets such as Catalist, VAN, and NCEC and with constituent relationship management tools such as Salsa.
- Understanding of common direct voter contact programs.
- Experience in the use of data and analytics to drive effective decision-making in both issue and electoral organizing.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively and work under deadline pressures.
Travel, Driving & Work hours:
- Travel and extended work hours including weekends may be required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.