This position is responsible for promoting the PEOPLE program and related political activities. Increasing member and affiliate participation, growing awareness and visibility for the program, and linking PEOPLE with our legislative and political activities are vitally important.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and executing PEOPLE fundraising programs across the country.
- Trains affiliate leaders, IU and affiliate staff, and members on the program, and works with them to increase PEOPLE capacity and giving, which are core components of the work.
- Utilizes fundraising best practices and compliance to lead efforts and execute program pieces as needed.
- Serves as lead in the development of fundraising materials, including pamphlets, videos, emails and letters and social media.
- Attends and delivers presentations/speeches at local and IU meetings, conferences, conventions, and conducts workshops on PEOPLE and political activity.
- Develops strategic plans to increase member participation in the program.
- May liaise with government entities to assist with member contributions, files and required backup.
- Responsible for the full-cycle and execution of fundraising events.
- Tracks fundraising progress to meet goals and closely monitors plans.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in political science and government, with a minimum of seven (7) years of related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Knowledge of union, political and fundraising activities.
- Knowledge of the PEOPLE program and associated AFSCME databases are required.
- Knowledge of the political process.
- Knowledge of federal and state election and campaign laws.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with union members and elected leadership, both inside and outside the Union.
- Knowledge of campaign finance reform initiatives and laws.
- Knowledge of budget process.
- A thorough understanding of the Department’s political and legislative agenda is required.
Travel & Work hours
- Travel and extended work hours are required.