Video Production Manager
This position is responsible for the creative direction and oversight of the video productions unit. Incumbent oversees the work of a team of video producers, editors and videographers and helps set the creative strategy for video in multi-platform campaigns and complex projects. This position works in conjunction with the Assistant Director, Visual Communications to ensure that video projects align with the department’s overall strategy and vision.
- Develops and manages workflow of video content, including determining priorities and assigning projects to team members.
- Stays up to date on performance metrics to craft and evolve video strategies and creative standards.
- Provides guidance and direction to ensure that video project goals and deliverables are clearly communicated and achieved.
- Creates production budgets for specified projects and makes recommendations for the annual operating and capital budgets for video.
- Manages relationships with videographers, editors, production companies and other vendors.
- Trains, advises and assists affiliate staff on video and social media best practices as needed.
- Hires and trains team members and helps to establish team norms and a healthy, collaborative culture.
- Serves in a lead capacity for the video unit for AFSCME’s biennial convention and other priority events.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Visual Communications in creating cohesive multimedia campaigns and ensuring that creative elements align with the department’s overall strategy and vision.
- Produces videos as needed, including scripting and editing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in digital filmmaking, video productions or visual and media arts and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in digital film making or video production; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
Experience & Skill Requirements:
- Thorough knowledge of all steps of video production from concept to distribution.
- Knowledge of emerging technology and social media best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality outcomes under budget, time and resources constraints.
- Experience providing supervision, training and coaching to subordinate staff members.
- Excellent communication skills and strong technical fluency. Ability to communicate technical ideas and updates to non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of the labor movement and progressive politics.
Extended Hours and Travel:
- Extended hours including weekends.
- Extensive travel may be required.