Network Analyst I (2 Positions)
This position in the Information Technology Department is responsible for assisting in the maintenance of Window 11 desktops, Printers, Microsoft server-based equipment, VMWARE, Storage, Office 365, and Cloud Services administration that includes web-enabled services, electronic mail, databases, application servers, and backup services. This position involves basic systems, network design capabilities, and network operating system implementation on various hardware and cloud platforms within the AFSCME network at headquarters and field locations.
- Position will maintain servers and peripheral computer room devices, performing daily routine maintenance as determined by the Senior Network and Network Manager.
- Understanding and conducting essential cybersecurity tasks.
- Monitors the status of network servers via an automated software system, resolves problems, or escalates problems for resolution by senior Network staff when appropriate.
- Installs operating systems patches and associated software tools for maintenance and monitoring of network components. Monitors and tests networks and servers.
- Performs firmware upgrades and installs support packs for computers, servers, firewalls, storage and switches.
- Installs hardware relating to networks, servers, PC’s and maintenance of same; server-based equipment includes web-enabled services, e-mail, databases, application and general file servers.
- Documents cable systems with charts and maintains patch cables. Maintain disk space usage statistics on NAS, SAN and Raid systems. Creates and maintains cabling and power distribution charts.
- Develops and maintains the associated documentation in an electronic format, required for computer operations and network management. This documentation includes logbooks, checklists, job run steps, various procedures, network diagrams and hardware/software configurations and conventions.
- Interacts with the operating system and applications via PC with MS Windows and MS office applications.
- Provides support to users by investigating and resolving user problems with a wide variety of hardware including networked PCs, printers, PC peripherals, monitors, servers, backup systems, routers, switches and other hardware. Provides telephone support to remote sites with all of the above.
- Documents work performed in accordance with department standards and reports on progress and status of assigned projects to managers. Keeps tracking system of work updated in a timely manner.
- Keeps current on emerging technologies via professional organizations, technical or functional reference manuals and magazines, and other external sources.
- Participates on team for creating computer security and disaster recovery plans and follows those plans.
- Suggests ways to improve the department's operations procedures and standards.
- Performs other duties as required.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Computer Sciences or a technical institution with certification in network management and a minimum of three (3) years of experience on Microsoft networks and servers or any equivalent combination of education and experience providing the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of Microsoft and network operating systems.
- Local Area Networks Certified Professional with the following coursework completed: LAN Implementation and Configuration, Wireless, switched.
- Routed Network Troubleshooting, PC Networking, Intro to Storage Networks
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) certification desirable.
- Knowledge and hands on experience of hardware configuration of servers, PCs, laptops, and switching equipment. Expertise in cable configuration, connector building, etc. and all forms of bios upgrades to hardware and support pack application to Windows PC and server software.
- Knowledge of electronic communications set-up and administration.
- Knowledge of client/server operations including Windows Operating Systems (including Windows Server ) and Local Area Network and attached print device concepts. Knowledge of operations and batch processes.
- Knowledge of e-mail systems (preferably Office 365).
- Experience with enterprise backup software, Data Center Edition. Understanding of backup concepts.
- Technical knowledge of Encryption technologies used in secure transfer of files.
- Ability to develop procedures and documentation.
- Strong ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Familiarity with all types of Internet communications networks cable, firewall setup, and IP networking.
- Customer service skills and communication skills, analytical problem-solving skills, and accurate data entry skills.
Travel and Work Hours:
- Extended work hours, travel and a valid driver’s license are required.