Deputy Political Research Director
Blue Compass Strategies is a female-owned, Washington, DC-based political research and consulting firm dedicated to supporting the progressive movement with the knowledge necessary for developing more efficient and effective electoral, issue-advocacy, and accountability campaigns. We achieve this by arming the community with historical election data, sophisticated analysis, and real-time updates for targeted states. We provide political campaigns and progressive organizations with a baseline set of information to work from—helping them learn from the past to make sound decisions for the future. Blue Compass currently provides political research and analysis for progressive clients, including SEIU and UFCW, and advises several federal, state, and local campaigns.
Blue Compass is seeking a full-time deputy political research director to join our team. Our political research team conducts strategic, high-level research for progressive organizations on candidates and campaigns and performs an array of fact-checking duties for clients. The person in this position will be a member of the senior staff. They will report directly to the political research director and president and help manage Blue Compass’s team of analysts and fellows. They will also work directly with clients to assist with their research needs.
Blue Compass Strategies staff work remotely, and we welcome applicants who do not reside in the DC area. We have a strong dedication to creating an inclusive work environment, including in our hiring process, and seek to expand diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Work as part of a team to produce strategic reports, campaign plans, and post-election analysis to inform our progressive clients; this includes research on the state of the 2022 landscape in key battleground states, post-2020 redistricting process, midterm election results, and shifts in voting patterns in recent election cycles
- Provide direct strategic guidance to clients based on our research to assist them with spending decisions and investments in key 2022 battleground states
- Assist company president with various in-house requests and research
- Manage and help train our political research team, including providing strategic guidance and editing on their work products
- Help manage the staff on our opposition research team
- Fact-checking duties
- Previous political research experience, such as with a campaign or progressive organization; preference for candidates with management or leadership experience
- Excellent research and writing skills: an ability to independently compile information and data from publicly available sources, identify key trends in that data, and distill it into a concise, easy-to-follow narrative for distribution to clients
- Ability to produce high-quality, accurate research
- A voracious consumer of political and election-related news with deep knowledge of the national political landscape
- Strong familiarity with various sources of campaign- and election-related data and tools (e.g., historical election results, polling, campaign-finance systems, census data) and resources (e.g., Cook Political Report, FiveThirtyEight, The Upshot)
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, including Excel
- Self-motivated, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of our fast-paced team
- Persistence, a desire to learn, and intellectual curiosity
Blue Compass Strategies offers a competitive salary, starting at $62,000 for this role, and a robust benefits package, including medical, vision, and dental insurance. Blue Compass covers 100% of employees’ preventive healthcare premiums, with options for coverage for spouses and children. Benefits include paid paternity and maternity leave, paid sick days, and vacation time.
Blue Compass Strategies is committed to a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities or expressions, marital status, religions, veteran statuses, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify “Deputy Political Director” in the subject line. Please also note where you saw this posting.