Product Design Intern, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
The mission of the CZI Science Initiative is to support the science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We support interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers to expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. Our North Star objective is on understanding the mysteries of the cell, the fundamental building block of life. To that end, our approach is to digitally model cell function through research, advanced development, collaboration, and funding.
Some Science Initiative efforts include:
- Building software such as
- CZ cellxgene - an easy to use corpus of single-cell transcriptomics data.
- CZ ID - a metagenomics platform that delivers insights in infectious disease.
- Funding of
- Single cell biology and the application of technologies that enable multi-omics investigation at the level of cells.
- Imaging and developing tools capable of observing biological processes across spatial scales at the level of tissues, cells, and proteins.
- Doing science through
The Single Cell Design Team is looking for a Product Design Intern who is passionate about accelerating science to join our team to contribute to the development of cellxgene.
What You'll Do
- Partner with other Designers, Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, User Researchers, and Single Cell experts to build experiences and visualizations for Biologists.
- Translate complex user needs into elegant and scalable design solutions.
- Map user flows, design features, prototype interactions, and collaborate with engineers to deliver features to users.
- Communicate design rationale.
- Contribute to product ideation and feature development.
- Give and solicit feedback from designers and cross-disciplinary partners.
- Participate in user research sessions with biologists in the Single Cell field.
What You'll Bring
- Currently working on the process of obtaining a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree in Art, Design, Technology, Human Computer Interaction or a related applicable field and will have time remaining in your program after your summer internship.
- Design experience from previous internships, work experience, academic research, lab work, or personal projects.
- Targeted graduation date between December 2024 through June 2025.
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2024.
- A portfolio demonstrating product design, interaction design and visual design experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Driven self-starter with strong communication skills (verbal, written and visual).
- Experience with Figma.
Our internship program is designed to give students a meaningful, real-world work experience that complements their academic learnings. While we are not able to offer conversions to full-time positions following our internships, our program is open to a wide range of students at any point in their undergraduate careers that want to develop skills, gain experience, and connect with leaders in their fields.
The Redwood City, CA pay for this role is $40.05/Hr.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!