Director of Business Development
Sales & Business Development
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Clarify, a progressive digital and mail agency, is hiring a Washington, D.C.-based Business Development Director to help take our growing roster of nonprofit organizations, Democratic campaigns, and commercial clients to the next level. You are a highly goal-oriented professional and motivated independent worker with deep knowledge of the campaign marketing space and a passion for building relationships. We are a small, tightly knit, fully remote team committed to focusing on great clients, doing top-quality work, and finding just the right Slack reaction emoji.
Our clients deserve strategy and advice that is informed by the perspectives brought by a wide range of backgrounds and experience. To that end, Clarify is committed to the success of our employees, and we place a priority on recruiting and developing staff from all races, colors, religions, sexes, national origins, ages, disability statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, military and veteran statuses.
- As the Business Development Director, you will be responsible for establishing and strengthening firm relationships with clients, potential clients, and others by representing the firm at industry events and in targeted conversations with new contacts and contacts you already have.
- You will set the tone for the sales efforts of everyone at the company, contributing valuable input in areas like strategic sales planning, unique selling proposition, pricing, and market positioning.
- You will help an established boutique agency with a great roster of existing clients kick into a higher gear, making a greater difference for even more good people and good causes.
Preferred Skills and Assets
- Passion for interacting with people and outgoing, friendly personality
- Dogged determination to follow up, stay organized, and track details
- Intimate knowledge of the campaigns and advocacy world and familiarity with what digital/mail agencies sell, who buys it, and for what reasons
- Strategic problem-solving mindset
- Broad set of existing connections in the space
Markers of Success
- Within the first month, you will be successful if you are able to learn the details of our business and what differentiates our offerings from competitors’, complete a first draft of a strategic sales plan, track your outreach activities in our sales CRM, and turn up 1-3 new business opportunities.
- Within the first three months, you will be successful if you are able to finalize a strategic sales plan, successfully establish connections with 5+ major industry organizations/sources of business, turn up 4-9 new business opportunities, and land 1-2 new projects.
- Within the first six months, you will be successful if you are able to land 4-5 new projects.
- Orientation to existing sales and marketing materials
- Discussions with leadership about firm history with various areas of the market and potential targets to prioritize off the bat
- Discussions with other team members as necessary to inform knowledge of service offerings
- Software and tools as needed, e.g. sales CRM, paid market intelligence
- $400/mo entertainment budget
- $2,500/qtr travel budget
- Collegial, friendly work environment
Clarify is committed to compensating employees based on output and leveling the playing field for our employees to be compensated fairly. To that end, we have developed a transparent compensation system and offer benefits that include up to three weeks earned vacation every year, employee 401k match up to 4% of salary, and full coverage of health, dental, and vision for employees + 50% coverage for partners and dependents. Base salary for this position will be $90,840.75 - $107,424.83 a year.
This position also earns a commission from projects sourced, pitched, and closed by the employee. Commission is 4% of net sales from projects worth up to $250,000 in a calendar year, 6% of net sales on projects worth $250,000 to $500,000, and 8% of net sales on projects worth $500,000 and up.
Clarify is an award-winning progressive and Democratic agency offering industry-leading digital advertising, direct mail, brand strategy, creative, email advocacy and fundraising, and more. Winning our clients victories they can actually be proud of is what gets us out of bed in the morning and helps us sleep at night. People who work at Clarify contribute at a high level of professionalism and expect to be treated fairly, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Since launching in 2015, we’ve worked with U.S. Senate and House campaigns as well as unions, advocacy organizations, and statewide persuasion and mobilization efforts around the country. These include Alliance for a Better Minnesota, FWD.us, the American Constitution Society, AFSCME Council 5, Need to Impeach, the Peoria Project, the Minnesota DFL House Caucus, and more.
We look forward to meeting you!
See more open positions at Clarify
Something looks off?