Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Gender Expert will provide technical support and oversight to Hala’s product development and program design around our operations in Syria (primarily related to justice and accountability, emergency response, and civilian protection). The Gender Expert will provide inputs to Hala System’s Sr. DEI & People Analytics Manager as a means to inform Hala’s overall company strategy and operational framework, product research and design, and raise the awareness and capacity of Hala and partner staff. This consultancy is envisioned as a role spanning product and program needs on multiple grants and contracts. The consultancy could be extended based on the receipt of new awards and the expanded consulting needs pertaining to those commitments.
This is a part-time, short-term position with an estimation of 6 to 12 hours per month until March 31st, 2024. Hala is flexible with the location for this position.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with Hala’s Sr. DEI & People Analytics Manager to apply an inclusive and culturally affirming theoretical framework or strategy for what gender mainstreaming means in relation to Hala’s mission, vision, values, and company strategy as it pertains to product design, monitoring, and evaluation within Syria Program Operations.
- Work with Sr. DEI & People Analytics Manager, Engineering and Product Departments to employ a consistent methodology for Hala to perform gender analyses for every new product, project, and program, within the context of Hala’s design principles and program design frameworks, for Syria Program Operations.
- Work with Sr. DEI & People Analytics Manager and the Syria Program Operations team to produce program and product-specific gender mainstreaming action plans, with specific action items and timelines for implementation in collaboration with relevant Hala teams.
- Provide specific support, oversight, and follow-up to relevant staff to implement gender mainstreaming action items - across Hala’s departments (Product, Engineering, Analytics, Operations, Compliance) in collaboration with Hala’s Sr DEI & People Analytics Manager and Psycho-Social Support Services Manager. The consultant would work directly with specific teams to help team members understand the action item recommendations and how to integrate them and ensure team follow-through regarding their work within Syria Operations.
- Support Sr. DEI & People Analytics Manager in general awareness raising for all Hala staff related to gender mainstreaming and sensitization, unconscious bias, and sexual and gender-based risks in the context of Hala’s product portfolio and programming approaches. This may be through verbal or written presentations, training, or other.
- Ensure Hala’s program proposals as they pertain to Hala’s product portfolio in Syria, log frames, and risk assessments reflect a gender lens and consideration of gender-sensitive access and applicability constraints.
- In support of Hala’s accountability work, support the formulation of operational policies and guidelines to better address sexual and gender-based crimes during evidence collection and data processing (or integrate a gendered lens in existing guidelines). This will include gender and SGBV sensitivity training for Hala staff and partners using data collection and processing tools so that users are able to operationalize guidance and address sexual and gender-based crimes, as well as follow up to ensure guidance is enforced and updated.
Who you are:
- A team player who centers collaboration and prioritizes community buy-in with a demonstrated ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- A highly organized, detail-oriented individual who is self-motivated, ethical, and empathetic.
- A values-driven, trustworthy, and honest person with a passion for helping people in need.
- Dedicated and passionate about scaling impact.
- Dynamic & engaging public speaker and facilitator who understands the importance of accessible praxis for engaging and implementing sustainable culture change across communities.
We’d love to see:
- +5 years of relevant experience
- Fluency in Arabic and English
- Familiarity with approaching work through an intersectional lens.
- A background in designing, developing, and implementing trauma-informed violence prevention initiatives.
- Understanding and experience working with MENA communities affected by state conflict and natural disasters.
- Extensive knowledge of sexual and gender-based risks and concerns in the Syrian context where Hala operates.
- Awareness of culturally inclusive and affirming best practices in relation to the investigation of sexual and gender-based crimes.
- Experience in the investigation or analysis of sexual and gender-based crimes would be a strong asset.
- Solid understanding of the Women, Peace, and Security (WPS) Agenda and awareness of developments in approaches to gender equality in the field of peace, conflict, and security.
- Basic knowledge of the intersection between technology and human rights/humanitarian response (artificial intelligence, machine learning, blockchain).
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage on a rolling basis. You should expect a phone screen followed by an interview with team members and the manager for this role.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.
See more open positions at Hala Systems
Something looks off?