Research Data Manager
ABOUT THE INNOCENCE PROJECT
The Innocence Project works to free the innocent, prevent wrongful convictions, and create fair, compassionate, and equitable systems of justice for everyone. Our work is guided by science and grounded in anti-racism. Since our inception, the Innocence Project has used DNA and other scientific advancements to prove wrongful conviction. To date, we have helped to free or exonerate more than 200 people who, collectively, spent more than 3,600 years behind bars. Our efforts have led to the passage of more than 200 transformative state laws and federal reforms. Today, the Innocence Project continues to fight for freedom, drive structural change, and advance the innocence movement. To learn more, please visit www.innocenceproject.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Research Data Manager maintains the Innocence Project research databases, coordinates initiatives to improve data quality and data accessibility throughout the Innocence Project and facilitates and participates in research endeavors undertaken by the Data Science and Research Department and other departments in the organization. This position contributes to the Department’s ability to better understand the contributing factors of wrongful conviction and successful approaches to overturning such convictions, and to promote effective methods of preventing wrongful arrests, prosecutions, and convictions.
The Research Data Manager reports to the Director of Data Science and Research. In addition to creating and maintaining a vigorous data environment for research and statistical purposes, this position supports research needs of other departments including Information Technology, Intake, Post-Conviction Litigation, Strategic Litigation, Policy, Communications, Social Work, and Development.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
While the Innocence Project has supported remote work throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently committed to a hybrid workplace with mandatory three days per week in-office. The number of required in-office days is subject to change.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate possesses a deep understanding for creating complex databases for scientific endeavors, is adept at statistical analyses used to answer complicated research questions, skillfully generates data visualizations that resonate with a range of audiences, and has an appreciation for using data to drive transformation of the criminal legal system.
In addition, all Innocence Project employees must embrace, respect and value the rich diversity of perspectives and experience of a diverse and heterogeneous staff. We recognize and appreciate that our work is better for having varied participants and thought partners. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in this type of environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN DATABASE RESOURCES AND PROVIDE RESEARCH SUPPORT FOR SCIENCE AND RESEARCH DEPARTMENT:
- Responsible for investigation, documentation of details, and data entry for new cases to be added to Innocence Project exoneration database, and for tasks relating to database maintenance and quality assurance.
- Create new variables for subject-specific subsets of information about important issues (e.g., prosecutorial misconduct, ineffective assistance of counsel, additional factors that contribute to wrongful convictions, etc.) that are not captured in full detail elsewhere.
- Revise structure and content of Innocence Project research database to meet the needs of IP staff.
- Provide case examples and statistics for Innocence Project staff, Innocence Network members, and the public; when appropriate, facilitate access to various data and/or research resources.
- Evaluate technical resources as needed, and provide technical support, advice, troubleshooting, and training regarding software used by the Science and Research Department for data analysis, reference management, project management, task management, and other needs.
- Assist with research projects with other members of Science and Research.
- Create data warehouse (merging multiple sources of data)
- Develop system for a codebook - create and maintain for a wide audience, including thoroughly documenting the data coding and cleaning procedures
- Build a database/data environment to which a data visualization tool could be connected to provide real time metrics to internal leadership and also figures of interest to the public via our website
DEVELOP HIGH QUALITY DATA AND FACILITATE COLLABORATIONS ACROSS THE INNOCENCE PROJECT:
- Manage organization-wide efforts to develop and implement principles of good data culture, including improvements in data entry, quality control, cross-departmental accessibility, and interoperability.
- Facilitate cross-departmental input into development of the Innocence Project database.
- Assess research needs and develop opportunities for collaborations with other departments in conjunction with their strategic goals and plans.
- Define role in Zotero organization, maintenance, and oversight
- Generate ideas for meaningful research projects that analyze internal data
- Participate in external research collaborations
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, with preference for graduate degree, in data science and/or social science research fields such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, programming, or social sciences such as psychology, criminology, sociology, or related areas.
- Experience and proficiency with statistical software (e.g., SPSS, R, Python, etc.),reference manager software (e.g., Endnote, Zotero), and Microsoft Suite.
- Coursework in statistics and data management.
- 5+ years of experience with qualitative or quantitative research, data management, and analysis.
- 3+ years using a data visualization tool such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
KEY COMPETENCIES + VALUES
- Superior skills in organization, planning and attention to detail.
- Ability to learn software with ease.
- Ability to engage with people from a variety of backgrounds in a way that fosters collaboration.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information clearly to non-technical staff.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Passion for using data to drive transformation of the criminal legal system
- Enthusiasm for the work of the Innocence Project and for social justice, including a demonstrated commitment to public interest
- Shares in the IP’s values of accountability, collaboration, empathy + compassion, equity, person-centeredness, quality focus, and self-awareness
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & PERKS
The salary for this position is highly competitive and the Innocence Project offers an excellent benefits package, including fully-paid individual health, dental and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 401k plan with 6% company-match, paid disability and family care leave, adoption and fertility expense reimbursements, and company-paid transportation benefits.
WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
The Innocence Project considers the diversity of its workforce to be vital to our organization’s success in meeting its mission. We strongly encourage applicants from all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, and physical abilities to apply. Individuals with personal connections to the criminal legal system are strongly encouraged to apply.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is our policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics, actual or perceived domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by law.
To apply, please visit JazzHR. Upload a cover letter expressing your interest in the role and the organization’s work, and a resume titled with your name in this format (last name_first name_cover letter/resume). Only applications with cover letters will be considered complete applications. Information submitted through this secure site is kept confidential. Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to give applicant updates by phone or direct email.
**Applications for this position will be considered on a rolling basis until the post is filled.**
Something looks off?