Lead Backend Engineer
About the company
Unified was founded out of a desire to build a more connected community of progressive organizers, activists, and the constituents they seek to help. We're passionate about building technology that can help everyone find their inner activist. During the 2020 cycle, we worked with over 40 different campaigns and advocacy groups to help them scale their relational organizing programs and reach hundreds of thousands of voters. We're currently developing a new platform that will take that reach even further. Learn more about our work by exploring this website or checking us out on Twitter and Instagram.
We are a diverse team committed to equality in hiring. We don’t and won’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.
We’re likewise committed to building an incredible community that empowers progressive activists and individuals to create change. This involves leveraging our prior experience as a startup in the political space supporting progressive campaigns and organizations, and as activists and campaign staffers in past elections.
About the role
As our Lead Backend Engineer, you’ll be responsible for our backend system design, product architecture, and API development. You’ll collaborate with our Data and Mobile/Client leads/teams to make sure customers have a seamless experience.
You will join us in making a substantial impact in the progressive technology space. We’re in the alpha stages of our new product, so there’s ample opportunity to own your role and have input into how our product functions.
Day to day, you’ll design, implement, and improve the API for our new product, which is currently built with Python/asyncio, Postgres, and a little MongoDB. You'll also work closely with the Data Team to build data models and implement asynchronous processing pipelines. You’ll also help with improving the scalability, performance, and observability of our systems.
Helpful qualities and skills
- Are comfortable on a distributed team
- Care about crafting code that is clear, readable, and maintainable
- Experience solving distributed systems problems
- Expertise in a common backend language, like Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go, etc.
- Have built performant RESTful APIs
- Work with containerized services, e.g. using Docker / Kubernetes
- Understanding of data engineering pipelines and asynchronous processing
- Experience with a major cloud infrastructure provider, like AWS, GCP, Azure
- Experience with common SQL and NoSQL data stores, like Postgres, Redis, and MongoDB
- Strong grasp of observability principles
What this role offers
At Unified, we are committed to building an passionate, experienced team that is driven by our mission. As such, we work hard to offer a support work environment where team members feel a shared purpose, bond with one another, and are compensated competitively. Our compensation package for this role includes:
- Annual salary between $120,000 - $180,000
- Equity in company
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
In addition to the above package, we try to support team members by:
- Allowing them to work from home as needed
- Giving them flexibility around their work schedule
- Providing opportunities for growth through project ownership