Lead Infrastructure Engineer
About the company
Blue Squad was founded out of a desire to build a more connected community of progressive organizers, activists, and the constituents they seek to help. We're passionate about building technology that can help everyone find their inner activist. During the 2020 cycle, we worked with over 40 different campaigns and advocacy groups to help them scale their relational organizing programs and reach hundreds of thousands of voters. We're currently developing a new platform that will take that reach even further. Learn more about our work by exploring this website or checking us out on Twitter and Instagram.
We are a diverse team committed to equality in hiring. We don’t and won’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.
We’re likewise committed to building an incredible community that empowers progressive activists and individuals to create change. This involves leveraging our prior experience as a startup in the political space supporting progressive campaigns and organizations, and as activists and campaign staffers in past elections.
About the role
As our Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll be responsible for our DevOps practices and our products’ cloud architecture. This is a vital part of supporting the rest of our engineering team as well as allowing our product to scale as we grow.
You will join us in making a substantial impact in the progressive technology space. We’re in the alpha stages of our new product, so there’s ample opportunity to own your role and have input into how our product functions.
Day to day, you’ll manage, improve, and automate our existing AWS/Kubernetes-based cloud infrastructure to allow our products to scale securely. That includes championing observability and providing tools and services that make that easy. We’re also constantly trying to build a top-notch development environment (including better CI/CD mechanisms), and you’ll be leading the effort in collaboration with our Backend and Data leads/teams.
Helpful qualities and skills
- Are comfortable on a distributed team
- Care about crafting code that is clear, readable, and maintainable
- Experience solving distributed systems problems
- Expertise in a common infrastructure automation language, like Python, Go, Node.js, etc.
- Work with a popular cloud platform, like AWS, GCP, Azure
- Work with containerized services, e.g. using Docker
- Work with cluster scheduling for containers, e.g. using Kubernetes
- Experience with common SQL and NoSQL data stores, like Postgres, Redis, and MongoDB
- Passing understanding of data engineering pipelines and asynchronous processing
- Strong grasp of observability principles and tools
What this role offers
At Blue Squad, we are committed to building an passionate, experienced team that is driven by our mission. As such, we work hard to offer a support work environment where team members feel a shared purpose, bond with one another, and are compensated competitively. Our compensation package for this role includes:
- Annual salary between $120,000 - $180,000
- Equity in company
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
In addition to the above package, we try to support team members by:
- Allowing them to work from home as needed
- Giving them flexibility around their work schedule
- Providing opportunities for growth through project ownership