Product or Service Designer
Office of Innovation, State of New Jersey
The New Jersey State Office of Innovation is looking for diverse and experienced team members to deploy world-class innovative and digital services that solve pressing public interest challenges for the people of New Jersey. Our work spans numerous issue and policy areas, and is focused on making an impact in the lives of the New Jerseyans that we serve: we’ve decreased the amount of time it takes to apply for Unemployment Insurance, made it easier to start, operate, and grow a business in the Garden State, and connected millions of New Jerseyans to government programs, services, and benefits.
Our team members wear many hats, contributing to both the execution of core projects and the evolution of the Office of Innovation. We use data and modern research, design, and development methods to inform our decision making, and we collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of government to understand and solve challenges. To learn more about the New Jersey Office of Innovation, visit our about us page. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For this role, we are seeking a product or service designer with at least 5 years of experience who is dedicated to applying design practices to improve government digital service delivery for the State of New Jersey.
As a part of the team, your responsibilities may include:
- Deliver solutions that meet the needs of diverse users across New Jersey
- Lead end-to-end research planning and execution using modern practices and tools to arrive at key insights and solutions that can be iteratively developed by the team and tested with users
- Partner closely with engineers, product managers, and other team members to translate UX/UI design into iteratively developed products that meet the needs of our users
- Solve complex problems through the use of human-centered design, open-source development and innovation, data-driven decision making, and agile development practices
- Create and execute research and testing plans for each phase of the project
- Use both equitable human-centered and data-driven research methodologies to generate insights and key learnings
- Design mockups, wireframes, user stories, and other guides that inform the development of products and can be shared with team members and stakeholders
- Develop and iterate on content that meets the needs of our users
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders and subject matter experts to define new features and iterate existing capabilities
- Serve as a coach and catalyst for leveraging modern data-driven and human-centered design practices across the team and the State in the areas of design research, interaction design, service design, visual design, and information architecture
- Drive user adoption and engagement
- Take part in office-wide initiatives and stand-ups to enable collaboration and support across projects
Preferred Technical Experience, Skills and Abilities
Applicants will be assessed based on an ability to excel at one or more design disciplines: user experience design, user interface design, visual design, and content design.
We are seeking individuals with the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Leading user experience design and research to iteratively develop digital products or services within large or complex environments as part of a cross-functional team
- Conducting rapid evidence reviews, research, and field scans
- Defining user needs and experience goals using such frameworks as personas, storyboards, scenarios, and flowcharts
- Designing and specifying user interfaces and information architecture, reusing design patterns where relevant
- Developing accessible content
- Leveraging technologies such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Cloud, and equivalent interaction design tools; InVision, Quartz Composer, or equivalent prototyping tools; and modern CSS and HTML.
- Prototyping designs at varying levels of fidelity using static mocks, click-through prototypes, basic CSS and HTML
- Working closely with engineers to translate wireframes and prototypes into functional working front-end code
- Setting up and facilitating user research sessions to assess the usability of designs or live code
- Communicating research findings, design rationale, and goals both verbally and visually
- Leveraging global web design standards
Location: Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. but should have an expectation of monthly or bi-monthly on-site work in NJ. We have a strong preference for those that can make it to NJ via local travel.
Compensation: Up to $130,000 (depending on experience) + Full benefits