Georgia State Director
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The Georgia State Director oversees all issue and electoral campaign activities and the growth and development of the organization in Georgia. Serving as the chief strategist for the state, they work with the Regional Director and the GA-WFP partners and allies to develop the state’s political strategy and oversee that strategy’s implementation in a complex, competitive political environment.
- Visionary leader with experience independently planning, designing, and executing programs, campaigns and/or projects in accordance with broad party policies and goals.
- Leads GA WFP team, formulates strategies, and administers policies, processes, and resources of GA WFP’s team functions.
- Manages organizing staff responsible for implementing strong field programs in support of WFP endorsed candidates and campaign staff.
-Sets the organizational priorities for the state and implements effective strategies to advance the mission of Working Families within the state.
-Coordinates and staffs a local affiliate board of key institutional partners to guide the organization’s electoral and issue campaign priorities, and is in contact with that affiliate board, which they keep informed of significant developments.
-Devises and executes the electoral and issue strategy of the organization.
-Builds a political network: cultivates relationships with allies, partners, constituency leaders, elected officials and their staff, stakeholders, donors, and foundations to expand Working Families’ base of support.
-Raises the funds necessary to carry out the objectives of the organization and to grow the capacity of the organization to set more ambitious goals over time.
-Recruits, hires, trains and manages talented staff to carry out the organization’s mission.
-Ensures that the organization operates according to democratic rules of governance.
-Constructs and adheres to a statewide budget.
- Generates media attention for and builds public awareness of Working Families initiatives and campaigns.
-Ensures full compliance with state and local election and campaign finance laws
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Organizational Leadership & Development
- Write, develop, and execute comprehensive plans that win on issues and elections and build GAWFP’s reach, reputation, and effectiveness
- Coordinate communication with and periodic Affiliate Committee meetings
- Recruit, supervise and mentor WFP staff in GA
- Work with the WFP team and partners to organize and facilitate training workshops that build the skills, knowledge, and analysis of our members, leaders, and candidates
- Serve as GAWFP campaign lead and representative at campaign coalition tables and/or assign staff to do so
- Build collaborative relationships and WFP coalitions with aligned organizations, elected officials, and community leaders
- Create a membership program and meet national metrics and goals for local chapters
- Media and Communications
- Serve as spokesperson for GAWFP with the media and at public events
- Communicate with the GA (and, as needed, national) press both on and off the record
- Work with regional communications staff to drive media coverage of GAWFP’s work and to shift overall narratives of the political landscape
- Fundraising, Budgeting, and Compliance
- Work with the Regional Director and development staff to identify funding opportunities and meet state chapter fundraising goals
- Prepare grant materials, develop relationships with grantmakers, and seek out new grant opportunities
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with current and potential major donors
- Build and maintain the overall state budget and project budgets
- Ensures that all WFP state political committees adhere to campaign finance laws and reporting requirements
- Plan and work with other staff and volunteers to implement annual membership drive
- Plan and work with other staff and volunteers to implement fundraising events
- Additional duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Six years of experience in political campaigns and/or community or labor organizing
- At least 3 years of experience leading teams, including direct supervisory experience
- Experience building coalition-building - especially aligning plans across allies into one coherent whole
- Relationships across the state with leaders who are already doing the work
- Managing multiple competing complicated projects and manage priorities
- Building political power to advance issues
- Creatively designing strategies and tactics to persuade/motivate legislators and/or candidates
- Managing and grow relationships for GA WFP
- Demonstrated fundraising experience in campaign and/or non-profit settings
- Demonstrated experience in working with the media, including on the record
- Excellent grasp of contemporary political issues and current events
- Experience and aptitude with multi-faceted planning processes
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment
- Persuasive verbal and writing skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a charged atmosphere
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, one-on-one and in a group
- Self-starter and critical thinker with the ability to create healthy team culture
- Capacity to multitask in a fast-paced setting and manage multiple moving parts
- Proven capacity to effectively and thoughtfully lead other staff and drive performance
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends, depending on campaign needs
- Car and valid driver’s license required (mileage reimbursed)
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail, and GSuite
- Experience working with VAN, Votivate, or other voter file software
What Else Should You Know
- Location: The position is full-time and based in Atlanta.
- Salary: The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $98,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a managerial role, not included in our bargaining unit. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Working Families Party policy requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodation under federal, state, and local law. Accommodations may not be possible for positions that require in-person contact with other staff or members of the public.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.
See more open positions at WFP
Something looks off?