2024 Democratic National Convention Committee
From August 19-22, 2024, Democrats from all over the country will gather together in the City of Chicago to participate in the Democratic National Convention, where we will nominate President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for re-election. The Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) is assembling a diverse team with skills in community engagement, event logistics, finance, operations, IT, and more. The DNCC team will oversee and deliver on all aspects of the planning and execution of this Convention, from housing the delegates to convening Platform Committee meetings to producing the Convention’s live programming, which will be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world.
The Press Assistant is responsible for providing critical communications support to the DNCC’s communications staff. The Press Assistant will create press clip roundups, monitor media coverage, triage press inquiries, build and maintain contact lists, manage updating website content, distribute press releases, and provide other administrative support. The Press Assistant will help organize the communications team’s operations. The Press Assistant will also support drafting, proofing, and editing written materials.
This position is within the Communications Department. The Communications Department is responsible for creating and implementing the communications strategy, messaging, and narrative for the Democratic National Convention. The Communication Department will craft message events, announcements, and materials that generate press coverage to build enthusiasm leading up to the Convention. During the Convention, the Communications Department will execute an integrated media, surrogates, digital, and logistics plan to showcase the vision of President Biden, Vice President Harris, and Democrats to the American people. To achieve these goals, the Communications Department will work with local and national media, support a robust digital presence, and deploy key surrogates to further the reach of our messaging.
- The Press Assistant reports to the Press Secretary.
- The Press Assistant works closely with communications interns.
- Monitor news coverage in real time and flag items that require rapid response and create clips roundups. Identify coverage trends and opportunities for potential engagement.
- Support operations of communications team, including managing and maintaining shared calendars, workflow schedules and tracking the execution of project plans..
- Create and maintain press lists for local, state and national media. Maintain other external contact lists.
- Support managing workflows for communications department interns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Draft, proof, and/or edit written communications materials, including press releases, talking points, op-eds, pitch notes, memos, and more.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong preference for candidates with writing experience.
- Familiarity with media list building and monitoring software.
- Thorough knowledge of Google Suite Applications, Excel, and Wordpress. Experience with Adobe design programs a plus.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible.
- Extremely well organized with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor and ability to work well on a team.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The DNCC will mainly operate out of the Headquarters Office, but will also maintain a number of satellite offices and additional venues. All of these spaces are professional office environments, and will require the operation of office equipment such as computers, phones, and copy machines. This position mainly uses an assigned workstation but may require movement or maintaining a stationary position for short or long periods of time. Employees may be asked to do tasks requiring dexterity or lifting items weighing up to 10 lbs. All employees may request a reasonable accommodation to perform their job tasks.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: ASAP
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
TRAVEL: This job will require occasional travel—less than 10%.
FLSA ELIGIBILITY: This is a non-exempt position under the FLSA and is eligible for overtime for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The anticipated starting salary for this position is $60,000. The DNCC offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and disability and life insurance.
To center the safety and well-being of our teams, The DNCC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNCC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Democratic National Convention Committee Committee (DNCC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that is best able to deliver a Convention that reflects the values and diversity of our Party and Country. The DNCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.