Director, Community Fundraising (P2P) and Events
Position Title: Director, Community Fundraising (P2P) and Events
Status: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Director of Community Fundraising will be responsible for the entrepreneurial and strategic growth of Active Minds’ peer-to-peer and community fundraiser engagement, gala-style and next-gen fundraising events, small-scale donor engagement opportunities, and more. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Director of Community Engagement will serve as a team and organizational leader, and will bring critical problem solving and a “roll up the sleeves” doer attitude to this growing revenue stream, envisioning how community fundraisers and events may advance our ultimate goal to mobilize youth and young adults in forever changing how mental health is valued and prioritized.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization mobilizing young adults to change the culture around mental health. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Peer-to-Peer & Community Fundraising (50%)
- Accountable for a rapidly growing community fundraising program, including through supervision of a Senior Associate, Community Fundraising.
- Set a strategic vision and implement a related work plan for intentional community fundraising, including researching, coordinating asset development, piloting and evaluating annual fundraiser moments. Examples may include 5k walks/runs, fundraising inclusion in campus mental health tabling, workplace mental health challenges, and more.
- Discover, cultivate, and steward a portfolio of highly engaged community fundraisers leading peer-to-peer (P2P) efforts, workplace giving campaigns, organizational fundraising partnership, memorial fundraisers, and more. May include support for Board members using P2P methods to solicit their network for support.
- Coordinate cross-departmental efforts with the School Mental Health team to engage Chapters and student partners (ex: fraternities/sororities, academic societies) in using philanthropy as a means of mobilizing.
- If and when needed, facilitate volunteer engagement opportunities with a focus on workplace partners; work cross-departmentally to align volunteering in service to the larger goal to mobilize youth and young adults.
Events & Donor Engagement (40%)
- Responsible for overseeing Active Minds’ large-scale fundraising events, securing a minimum of $350,000 annually, through oversight of event planning vendors, coordination of major donor and sponsor solicitations, and managing up and across teams to fulfill on event work plans.
- Serve as lead internal coordinator of planning and logistics for 1-2 annual 400+ person fundraising events, in Washington, DC and up to one additional city, including coordinating event communications and visual asset development, managing volunteers’ solicitations and event planning participation, securing exciting silent auction items, and conducting sponsor solicitations outside of managed portfolios.
- Create and act on a vision for fundraising event innovation that aids in reaching donors reflective of our organizational values, our antiracism and inclusion intentions, and those most committed to our mobilized youth and young adults.
Organizational Management and Other Duties (10%)
- Serve on the Active Minds Leadership team, including fully participating in bi-weekly cross-departmental coordination meetings.
- Participate fully in committees and initiatives relating to Active Minds’ commitment to antiracism and Inclusion (ARI).
- Maintain updated and accurate donor records and files in Active Minds’ Salesforce database.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for personalized and robust donor stewardship of those committing to changing the culture around mental health nationwide.
- Entrepreneurial thinker and problem solver, and not afraid to dig into the work of project implementation and project management.
- Able to prioritize tasks, organize time effectively, and respond to changing deadlines; must have ability to manage multiple tasks at a given time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- 8+ years of related experience in a nonprofit fundraising environment, or a combination of direct fundraising experience and significant transferable experience.
- Experience in employee supervision and/or team management, with preference for 3+ years in a supervisory role.
- Experience with event planning and management.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting sponsorships or contributions of $10,000+.
- Fully digital literate, including Microsoft & Google products, and online meeting tools.
- Experience with Salesforce or other databases and project management tools.
This position offers an initial salary range of $100K-118K along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 5b salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $142K over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
Active Minds recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Something looks off?