Associate, Human Resources
Position Title: Associate, Human Resources
Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible; Washington, DC preferred
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
This new position will support Active Minds in fostering our culture by helping us rapidly scale and build a people-centered organization and team. In alignment with Active Minds’ core values, the Associate, HR will support the Senior Manager of People & Culture to execute human resources and people management initiatives across the organization, including talent acquisition and onboarding, staff engagement and retention, professional and career development, compensation and benefits, and development of HR policies and procedures. The Associate, HR will report to the Senior Manager of People & Culture and work collaboratively with other members of the Active Minds Team.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization mobilizing young adults to change the culture around mental health. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Manage HR Policies and Procedures:
- Support varying People Operations tasks
- This role will work as part of the People Operations team to support employees and guide them on Active Minds’ HR processes and work on timely resolutions and responses for employee inquiries, in collaboration with Senior Manager of People and Culture and the Director of Operations.
- Maintain confidential HR documents and update staff folders as needed.
- Maintain attendance tracking documents and PTO submission forms.
- Maintain staff documents including but not limited to staff directory and staff roster.
- Support other initiatives within the People Operations team. Work closely with the Director of Operations and Senior Manager of People and Culture, which may include, cross-departmental employee engagement initiatives, employee recognition programs.
Employee Life Cycle
- Write and post job descriptions on career websites, listservs, university boards, and recruiting slack channels.
- Evaluate resumes and cover letters and provide a shortlist of qualified candidates to Senior Manager, People & Culture and hiring managers.
- Assist with onboarding processes as needed to ensure they are executed efficiently.
- Initiate and execute new hire paperwork.
- Maintain employee lifecycle task lists and templates within project management system, Taskray
- Support system changes for employee transitions like new hires and offboarding.
Support Team Member Culture and Employment Experience:
- Assist Operations team with planning and execution of team member appreciation events, newsletters, and additional communications.
- Help facilitate annual performance review process season.
- Serve as a trusted resource for the team and across the organization.
- Assist with resolution of human resources and benefits questions, concerns, and issues in concert with outsourced HR company and the Senior Manager, People and Culture
Facilitate Two-way Communication with Staff:
- Provide regular updates and feedback opportunities to staff on progress towards Active Minds’ People & Culture strategy.
- Understanding of Federal, State, and District employment laws and regulations for full time employees, contractors, and part-time employees nationwide
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential information; demonstrated ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze problems, gather pertinent data, and recommend solutions
- Track record of success in fast-paced, growth-stage companies
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- 2+ year of professional human resources experience
- Fully digital literate, including Microsoft & Google products, and online meeting tools
- Great written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Agility and a Growth Mindset
This position offers an initial salary range of $50-55K along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 1 salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $65k over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
Active Minds recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.