Vice President, Community Initiatives
Position Title: Vice President, Community Initiatives
Status: Full Time
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Vice President (VP), Community Initiatives has strategic and operational responsibility for programmatic growth and financial sustainability of all of Active Minds’ community-based programs, including two focus areas: fee-for-service programs and workforce development. These programs mobilize and empower diverse voices of youth and young adults to change mental health norms in community-based settings (i.e. community organizations, workplaces, private and public sectors, etc.). The position reports to the Chief Program Officer and is part of Active Minds’ Leadership Team that drives overall strategy for the organization and represents Active Minds on a local, regional, and national level. With a staff of seven, the VP, Community Initiatives will initially develop deep knowledge of each portfolio, program operations, and business plan, and will focus on the following three areas: program leadership and management; revenue generation and partnerships; and knowledge management.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization mobilizing youth and young adults to change the culture around mental health. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools, colleges, and communities, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more antiracist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Program Leadership and Management:
- Serve as a thought leader in partnership with the Chief Program Officer in scaling community-based programs at Active Minds.
- Enhance and implement organizational vision for fee-for-service programs and workforce development as established in Active Minds’ Strategic Plan.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, centering measurement and equity.
- Demonstrate consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve program goals.
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performing team members, enabling them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesion, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
Revenue-Generation and Partnerships:
- Expand revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing fee-for-service and workforce development programs and the growth of Active Minds; cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations.
- Collaborate with Active Minds’ Policy Manager to secure public funding for strategic goals.
- Develop the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by fee-for-service and workforce development programs.
- Develop a dissemination system to share organizational learning with a broad range of communities.
- Ensure that key project outcomes and/or policy, advocacy, and legislation are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to integrate cross program activities and functions.
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience through an equitable and anti-racist lens and with a hands-on approach
- Entrepreneurial and growth-oriented; track record of developing and operationalizing strategies that take a program or organization to the next stage of growth
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Active Minds’ mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a leadership team of senior professionals
- Strong demonstrated revenue generation experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders including youth/young adults, advisory groups, coalitions, forums, associations, foundations, corporate sponsors, and practitioner groups
- Proven ability to build and maintain partnerships with a wide range of organizations, including community-based organizations, schools, healthcare providers, and government agencies
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- 10+ years of program and team management experience
- Experience developing a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and professionals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
This position offers an initial salary range of $124-155K along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 7 salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $186k over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
Active Minds recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.