Decisionmaker Education & Engagement Policy Director
Advanced Energy Economy
Policy Director - Decision Maker Education & Engagement - West
Advanced Energy United (United) educates, engages, and advocates for policies that allow our member companies to compete to repower our economy with 100% clean energy. We work with decision makers at every level of government as well as regulators of energy markets to achieve this goal. The businesses we represent are lowering consumer cost, creating thousand of new jobs every year, and providing the full range of clean, efficient, and reliable energy and transportation solutions. The U.S. market for advanced energy products and services reached nearly $375 billion in 2022. Together, we are united in our mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy in the United States.
If you’re an entrepreneurial, innovative, analytical and thoughtful person looking to make an impact in the clean energy space, United might be the perfect place for you to share your talents. Team members at United are given the trust and responsibility to make big things happen, and myriad opportunities to learn new skills, explore new issue areas, and work with a broad cross section of the clean energy community. Being a team member at United also means working with a talented and diverse group of people, some who bring decades of experience spanning advocacy, philanthropy, clean tech, government and more—and our collaborative approach means we get to learn from each other, expert and novice, every day. And while our organization is fully remote, we are proud of the people-focused culture we have built and the connectedness of our team.
We work on serious issues, take our mission seriously, but never take ourselves too seriously.
Advanced Energy United is currently seeking an experienced, strategic and innovative Director to focus on decision maker education and engagement in western states. The Director will work with other United team members to develop and implement educational strategies designed to achieve policy successes at the state level that will expand markets for the advanced energy industry and accelerate the U.S. transition to 100% clean energy.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated, self-starting professional with a background in clean energy policy, state public utility regulation, and state-level advocacy. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills and will be someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Work with members and subject matter experts across the organization and externally to design and implement customized educational sessions and forums for decision makers in western states to accelerate the U.S. transition to 100% clean energy
- Develop and implement strategies to engage decision-makers at key events, including NARUC, NASEO and NCSL
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with key regulatory, legislative and administrative decision makers and staff, as well as Advanced Energy United staff, members, and partners.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 15%) to targeted states for educational events and other efforts on behalf of Advanced Energy United.
- Manage/mentor/develop Associates, Principals and Senior Principals
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Economics, Law or Engineering preferred, or applicable comparable experience
- 7-15 years of professional experience and engagement in the clean energy sector
- Experience engaging with state public utility commissions strongly preferred
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with Advanced Energy United’s mission/vision
- Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience managing/mentoring junior staff
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell Advanced Energy United and its value proposition to those audiences
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills required; candidates must be able to successfully develop and maintain genuine and productive relationships with members, industry stakeholders, policymakers, and other key contacts.
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Candidates must be very comfortable working in an environment with remote colleagues, creating new projects, building their own calendar, and delivering on high expectations.
- A deep network of relevant contacts in the energy sector is a plus.
- Ability to travel as needed
Special Application Instructions
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter expressing why this position and the organization interest you along with your current resume.
Job type: Full-time; regular (residence in the U.S. required)
Salary: starting at $110,000
Start Date: February 2024
Advanced Energy United Perks include:
• Remote work and flexible schedule
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
• Medical premiums covered for employees at 100%
• Flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care
• Profit Sharing opportunities and annual merit-based compensation increases
• $50/month personal wellness reimbursement
• $50/month phone stipend
• Up to $200 reimbursement for home office set-up
• Accrued Paid Time Off, 11 Federal Holidays, and an annual end-of-year closure
• Parental Leave
• Tuition reimbursement and professional development reimbursement
• 401(k) plan (with matching incentives)
• WMATA Transit Smart Benefits (DMV employees)
Advanced Energy United is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application, interview process, and/ or to perform essential job functions please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.