Field Administrative Assistant
Provides the overall coordination of daily administrative activities of the Regional Director and Western Region office by monitoring the workflow, keeping the Director or designee abreast of daily activities, being knowledgeable of the status of project activities, performing follow-up procedures on matters for the Director and directing office support personnel.
- Assists the Regional Director in handling the department's confidential affairs.
- Receives, reviews, proofreads, and determines the most effective and efficient methods for accomplishing all incoming work.
- Receives and reviews the department mail; redirects and refers mail to appropriate department or person as necessary.
- Maintains a departmental correspondence and telephone log identifying type of correspondence, subject, date, and principals.
- Approves subordinates leave requests, allocates assignments to ensure adequate department clerical support, and completes work evaluations.
- Coordinates professional leave schedule with the Regional Director.
- Coordinates the collection and preparation of reports and monitors budget expenditures. Initiates and signs "Expense Authorization Forms" (EAFs) for various office needs. Consults with vendors or other sources, to determine costs; writes justifications for expenditures.
- Maintains a daily activity tickler file for the Regional Director. Reviews file daily to keep Director abreast of project deadlines or meetings.
- Maintains regional office calendar with other information regarding travel and activities of the Regional Director and relevant staff. Schedule is maintained and published weekly for notification to the Organizing and Field Services Department.
- Acts as initial point of contact for the office. Reviews and answers general correspondence for the Regional Director and makes necessary decisions required to ensure timely accomplishment of the office’s objectives and projects as required.
- Consults regularly with the professional and technical staff to keep abreast of departmental activities which impact on the Regional Office’s interests. Provides this information to the Organizing and Field Services Director and Regional Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school with extensive knowledge of office management, secretarial skills or any equivalent combination of education and experience which would be acquired through the completion of an Associate degree.
- A minimum of three years of experience in an executive or senior supervisory administrative support role working in a confidential environment.
- Ability to effectively delegate, coach and manage a support team.
- Ability to multitask and quickly adapt to changing situations and meet deadlines.
- Ability to make sound independent decisions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with budgets and adapt to AFSCME Accounting practices.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); exposure to digital meeting programs Teams and Zoom. Some exposure to other database tools to meet department’s needs.
- Ability to compose correspondence using standard grammar and collect and analyze information.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Ability to problem solve and ask effective questions to provide project resolution.
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills, oral and written.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to occasionally work extended hours as needed.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Date: January 24, 2022