Field Representative/Internal Organizer
With over 1.6 million members, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) is the nation's largest public service labor union and a leader in the fight for social and economic change. AFSCME members provide the services communities depend on.
AFSCME Council 3 represents 30,000 workers throughout the state including university staff at MD’s public universities, correctional officers, social workers, clerical support staff, nurses, and road maintenance workers. We organize in the workplace and fight for dignity, respect and a fair standard of living for all public service workers in MD.
We are accepting applications for Internal Organizer. The Job:
- Identify, and foster recruitment and training of a network of union stewards who can assist members in problem solving, membership growth and communication.
- Drive membership growth through site visits, phone banking, steward networking, and new employee Increase PEOPLE membership to empower our membership politically.
- Serve as liaison with local unions regarding all elements of Council 3's political, legislative, and organizing programs, and ensure members know about the campaigns and wins of their fellow members.
- File grievances and appeals, submit demand to bargain letters, help organize and attend Labor / Management Committees, organize direct actions and issues campaigns, develop and help pass legislation.
- Attend union local meetings, inform executive boards how to comply with the requirements of their constitution and aid them in elections, amending constitutions, certifying convention delegates, etc.
- Mobilize members around regional or statewide
What We’re Looking For:
- At least one year of successful organizing experience
- Ability to articulate how a union
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate activities to build
- Experience with working in diverse communities and in a multi-cultural work Sensitivity to and appreciation of ethnic and cultural differences a must.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and gather information for negotiations, strategy development and other servicing and organizing activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with co-workers and
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs, Zoom, Voter Action Network, Slack and other social media
- Some weekend and evening work, and statewide travel Reliable car and valid driver’s license a requirement.
We offer a salary range of $55,000 - $81,000 (commensurate with experience), car allowance, excellent health benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, 15 paid holidays, 12 sick days, pension, optional 401k, life insurance, staff union and great working environment.
Something looks off?