This position is managerial and administrative in nature. It is responsible for supervision and training of field staff. Assuring the organization is accomplishing the mission of Council 65, in representation of our membership and contract enforcement. Assist in implementing the policies adopted by the Convention and the Executive Board. This position will be headquartered in the St. Cloud, although considerable travel is required. The incumbent will report directly to, and work under the general supervision of, the Executive Director.
Duties of this position include general oversight of field services operations. Such duties include but are not limited to:
- Participating in interviewing job applicants for professional staff positions and in making hiring decisions
- Determining the field staff assignments necessary to effectively and efficiently provide collective bargaining, contract administration and other service to locals
- Assist with developing such collective bargaining goals for the Council and its affiliates as may be appropriate on a statewide or regional basis
- Serving as a resource and contact person for field staff and actively advising, counseling and assisting them on complex issues, difficult negotiations, or trouble shoot as situations may arise
- Developing and implementing such staff training and development programs as may be necessary to improve the overall quality of service provided by the Council
- Provide membership training with field representatives in multiple geographic locations
- Assisting the Executive Director in preparation of the Councils annual budget
- Evaluating the performance of individual staff members supervised; investigating and resolving conflict situations that may arise between staff and the rank and file membership or the elected leadership of affiliates
- Recommending disciplinary measures, if necessary, pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement and adjusting staff complaints and grievances.
- Attend all staff and executive board meetings as scheduled.
- Monitor Local union Constitutions and submit updates.
- Submit research and collective bargaining requests to the International Union.
- Participate in Council Arbitration Panel and assist staff with preparation and presentation of arbitrations as necessary.
- Duties related to carrying out the mission and policies of Council 65 as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
The Field Director must be able to work independently. This person must be professional when dealing with the public, Council 65 members, employers and staff. This person must be self-motivated and willing to assume duties and responsibilities. Must be able to multi-task and coordinate all office and field functions as needed. This person will be accountable to the Executive Director.
- Post- secondary education preferred. The college degree requirement may be waived for satisfactory years of directly relevant work experience in a Unionized work.
- A thorough understanding of public and private sector Unionism and labor law, including a minimum of five years in a position with primary responsibility for collective bargaining and contract administration, supervision of Union Staff and/or administrative duties
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs
- Ability to exercise initiative and to function effectively under general supervision
- Proven ability to work harmoniously with others
- Must have a valid Minnesota Driver’s License
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: (as required by ADA)
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds, travel, extended work hours are required.
- Vision and hearing acuity is necessary
This position is covered under the Administrative Compensation Policy Excellent salary and benefit package (health/ dental/ life/ Errors & Omission coverage/ AFSCME International Pension Plan participant)
Something looks off?