Accounting Clerk I (PEOPLE)
This position is responsible for performing a variety of accounting functions within multiple sections of the Accounting Department. Processes, reviews, and inputs a variety of financial and accounting transactions according to Union and department policies and procedures. Uses one or more accounting software systems, spreadsheets, and word processing software to perform required tasks. Additional duties will include:
- Receive, sort, and distribute incoming accounts payable mail to AP clerks.
- Process invoices, and other requests for payment according to AFSCME procedures and policies.
- Review of payment requests for proper authorization, completeness, calculation accuracy, and agreement to supporting and authorizing documents.
- Contact AFSCME staff and/or Vendors to resolve payment issues.
- Check for possible payment duplication in the system.
- Create voucher batches for inputting.
- Input transactions into the accounting software.
- Process vouchers for returned checks to be voided and reissue vouchers when required.
- Answer vendor/employee inquiries.
- Summarize unpaid invoices on hand by cost center for the preparation of accounts payable journal entries.
- Receive sort and separate incoming checks.
- Batch all checks by type of funds and create bank deposit for each batch.
- Enter all checks into the per-cap system.
- Receive incoming calls to the per-cap accounting section.
- Prepare daily deposit journal entries.
- Make daily trips to the bank to deposit all funds.
- Audit all miscellaneous and retiree per-cap batches.
- Distribute Stat books.
- Prepare vouchers for return of funds to affiliates.
- Process supply orders.
- Prepare correspondence.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalent with one (1) year of bookkeeping or accounting coursework at the college level. Accounting degree preferred.
- A minimum three (3) years of experience in an accounting environment performing a variety of tasks or any combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while working with minimal supervision; manage time effectively to meet deadlines and be self-motivated to learn and take on new tasks and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate a high degree of organizational skills, accuracy, attention to detail, and workflow output.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, management, and others external to AFSCME.
- Proficiency with a personal computer, 10-key calculator, and use of Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel, Word, and Access.
- Experience using PC accounting software.
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Dynamics GP accounting software and ADP software is desirable.
- Occasional overtime may be required.
**A Skills Assessment may be required of all candidates.**