AFSCME Local Unions in Southern California are joined together in AFSCME District Council 36 to provide professional field representation, coordinated contract campaigns, political action and organizing. The Local Unions affiliated with AFSCME District Council 36 represent more than 25,000 public sector workers in 60+ Local Unions. Members in affiliated Local Unions work for county governments, cities, courts, school districts, special governmental districts, and transportation agencies.
This position, assigned duties, and salary are geared towards entry level an entry level accounting candidate.
The employee will work under the title of Bookkeeper, with the primary duties focused on accounts payable.
- Keep accurate financial records for the organization.
- Pay all bills to approved vendors.
- Deposit all monies in the name of and to the credit of the organization into the banks and depositories designated by the organization.
- Disburse funds, issue checks and drafts as ordered by the President and Secretary-Treasurer.
- Provide an account of all financial transactions.
- Calculate and submit payroll, which includes employer insurance and retirement contributions.
- Assist the auditors with preparation required reports. Assist with annual audits.
- Work at the Direction of the Business Manager, Executive Director, or Executive Board
- Must maintain current knowledge of all law and financial practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Secretary-Treasurer and Office Manager.
- Associates Degree in accounting, certificate in accounting, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with accounting software products such as QuickBooks, Microsoft Office suite with emphasis on Excel.
- Must be trustworthy, have strong communication and customer service skills.
- A keen attention to detail.
- The ability to plan and prioritize effectively, to manage multiple projects and to meet competing demands and deadlines.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
We offer a salary range of $41,000 – $44,000 (commensurate with experience) and excellent benefits.