Oregon AFSCME believes in economic and social justice for all Oregon workers and their families. Our mission is to empower and unite workers to create change in their workplaces and communities. Oregon AFSCME represents over 33,000 workers in the public sector. Our members work for the State of Oregon in addition to counties, municipalities and behavioral health nonprofits across Oregon as well as self-employed child care providers.
This entry-level position reports to the Public Affairs Manager and is a key part of the communications team responsible for assisting in strategic external and internal communications for membership growth, retention and engagement as well as advancing Oregon’s AFSCME’s impact for all Oregon workers. This position will be vital to supporting and increasing Oregon AFSCME’s communications capacity and ability to lift up worker stories and the vital contributions they make to our communities.
- At least one year experience in communications, including digital communications, in labor, political or issue advocacy campaigns, non-profits or similar organizations/campaigns.
- Desire and ability to monitor and engage effectively on social media platforms
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Skill in creating swift, compelling and accurate content.
- Strong interpersonal and interview skills.
- Strong time management skills on multiple projects and multiple deadlines
- Ability to use or quickly learn Canva and other design tools.
- A commitment to economic and social justice for all Oregon workers and their families, especially those in historically marginalized communities through empowering and uniting workers to create change in their workplaces and communities.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- With support of Public Affairs Manager, provide daily clear and compelling content for AFSCME’s social media channels, including written and designed content. Report metrics to the Public Affairs Manager.
- With support of Public Affairs Manager, write and design communications including leaflets, brochures and direct mail pieces, social media, email and other online content for bargaining, organizing, legislative advocacy or political campaigns.
- Assist in trainings on campaign messages, digital tools and communications best practices for staff and members.
- Work with Oregon AFSCME staff to help gather content including member stories, photo testimonials and video for social media and other digital outreach avenues.
- Assist in communications activities, including media events, external organizing initiatives, legislative activity, internal member electoral activity, and contract campaign communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Excellent health insurance and retirement benefits. Wage range is $25.51 - $35.82 per hour and based on experience.
Priority given to resumes and cover letters received by September 20th 2023.
Send resumes and cover letter to Hiring@oregonafscme.org.