AFSCME Local 3299 is a dynamic labor union representing over 30,000 Service and Patient Care workers at the University of California. We are a member-driven union with rank-and-file leadership dedicated to building a strong union to fight for our jobs, families, patients, and students.
To learn more about AFSCME 3299, please visit our webpage: https://afscme3299.org/
The Communications Associate will support the earned media, online media, internal, and external communications needs of the largest union at the University of California. Under the supervision of the Communications Manager and with the input of other Local staff, they will work to support a fast growing and dynamic communications operation—including developing content, providing photographic, video and audio support to the Communications and Field teams, editing digital content for external and internal use, and creating graphic designs for use in campaigns. This is a great opportunity for a hungry communications professional with a commitment to social justice and working families.
- Execute overall campaign communication strategies to meet the political, contract, and member mobilization goals of the local.
- Assist the Communications Manager in developing and distributing a range of written communications content for the local — e-mail blasts, social media posts, blogs, member leaflets, talking points, and fact sheets.
- Serve as Local 3299 Archivist—photos, video, and press clips.
- Conduct research to assist Communications Team in storytelling.
- Advance and staff events, rallies, hearings, and other public events for the Local.
- Collaborate with Communications and field teams on identifying, filming, and editing members and leaders for use at events, social media and internal communications.
- Creates digital content for field for external and internal use.
- Other duties as assigned
The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1-3 years of experience as a campaign, political, or media professional.
- Knowledge of the labor movement, including principles of union organizing and collective bargaining.
- Sound political judgement.
- Ability to quickly synthesize and distill large quantities of complex policy and/or issue related information.
- Experience with online organizing and social media technology.
- Intermediate to expert proficiency in the use of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Intermediate to expert proficiency in photography, video editing, and graphic design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined.
- Bi-lingual, Spanish/Cantonese/Tagalog/English is preferred.
- Veterans, Women, LGBTQ, and People of Color are encouraged to apply.
AFSCME Local 3299’s members are a diverse group of workers reflecting all of California, and are mostly people of color and women. We are an equal opportunity employer, and encourage people of color and women to apply.
Competitive salary, benefits, and field package included. Selected candidate may work from one of the following offices: San Diego, LA, Oakland, or Sacramento.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, writing samples, and 3 references with Communications Associate in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.