Legal Office Assistant
This position provides a full range of administrative support for the Office of the General Counsel. Performs the full range of legal and financial administrative and secretarial duties, including typing and editing correspondence, legal memoranda, and preparing letters and memoranda.
- Makes necessary travel arrangements for Associate General Counsels, using the AFSCME travel reservation system. Prepares and submits travel forms and expense reports as required, in accordance with AFSCME’s travel policy.
- Collects and reviews invoices and staff reimbursements for payment. Compares against source documents or records to ensure payments are appropriate and services were rendered. Logs into database and prepares and forwards for approval and processing.
- Manages the departmental budget throughout the year, tracking budget to actual to ensure the department remains within budget and justify any overages. Provides support to the development and management of annual departmental budget using Excel or other spreadsheet software and assists with reporting and tracking activities and provides support for the development and management of annual budget.
- Reviews and tracks outside counsel legal bills and litigation expenses, ensuring accurate and timely processing and payment, including coordinating with insurance carriers and ensuring insurance policy requirements are met and refunds received and accounted for.
- Maintains and updates electronic filing database. Oversees office filing systems to include the departmental chron and reading files. Prepares annual correspondence on behalf of the department for LM-30 notices to AFSCME affiliates.
- Maintains and manages files for storage and archives.
- Maintains and manages a list of individuals not eligible for surety bonds due to prior acts with AFSCME.
- Coordinates with departments (IT, CTS, Admin) to ensure Attorney and staff requests and needs are achieved.
- Updates and maintains the Attorney Bar Admissions lists and arranges for payment of bar fees and dues or reimbursements of same.
- Maintains Associate General Counsels’ calendar and schedules. Ensures calendars are up-to-date and timely. Schedules departmental and inter-departmental meetings.
- Receives and screens incoming requests via mail and telephone in a professional and timely manner. Organizes, logs and resolves incoming calls and issues with minimal supervision.
- Responsible for answering the telephone, professionally greet callers, appropriately screens calls for attorneys, establishing the reasons for calls, and resolves issues by contacting the appropriate person who can assist the caller.
- Retrieves, routes and handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- May design forms, presentations and other documents in support of clerical activities using available software.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Education and Experience
- High school graduation, some business school, paralegal or legal secretarial coursework or university or a certificate in Paralegal Studies in combination with prior paralegal experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of general office experience using a variety of software programs or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Broad knowledge of office and organizational procedures.
- Ability to review and proofread legal, financial, and budget documents.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Asana, and other database software.
- Effective analytical and communication skills in an oral and written manner.
- Ability to compose correspondence and prepare reports using correct English, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Effective interpersonal skills to interact with staff at various levels of the organization.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- Experience with accounting software preferred.
Travel & Work hours
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.