Retiree Communication & Mobilization Specialist
This position is responsible for creating, developing, implementing and coordinating organizing, mobilization and communication strategies for the AFSCME Retirees and its 45 retiree chapters across various mediums This includes coordination and assisting in the creation and production of mail, website and social network content, blogs, online campaigns, emails messages, videos as well as databases to track this content. The incumbent will work with department staff and AFSCME’s retiree affiliates to develop their organizing, mobilization and communications capacity.
- In consultation with the Director and Assistant Director, coordinates the writing and production of AFSCME Retiree’s direct mail organizing and PEOPLE campaigns. Drafts organizing and PEOPLE mailings as needed.
- Creates and implements the digital strategy for the AFSCME Retirees including email, social media, and peer-to-peer and SMS texting, and website content.
- Supports the field team in member mobilization, coalition building, and public relations efforts associated with department and chapter projects.
- Participates in the development of plans and strategies to support retiree organizing and PEOPLE campaigns.
- Assists with the development and execution of federal, state and local legislative advocacy campaigns.
- Regularly updates the AFSCME Retiree website and its social media channels and performs regular quality assurance of website to identify broken links and outdated content.
- Maintains AFSCME Retiree Facebook page including writing, developing, and posting content.
- Develops and executes departmental tele-town hall meetings.
- Updates and maintains tracking databases and produces reports of metrics on performance of both direct-mail and digital programs and projects.
- Collaborates with retiree field team to develop retiree leaders.
- Assists retiree affiliates with communications requests and capacity building in coordination with Retiree Field Organizers and Communications staff – including developing newsletters, launching, and maintaining chapter websites, starting and improving chapter Facebook pages and growing affiliate email capacity.
- Develops other departmental materials including brochures, leaflets, presentations, direct-mail pieces, booklets, video scripts and other media.
- Organizes and maintains electronic files of communications materials.
- Assists in the coordination and preparation of the quarterly International Executive Board Report as well as the biannual convention report.
- Assists with data entry on organizing and PEOPLE campaigns when necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with course work in communications, political science, and liberal arts and a minimum of five (5) years of related work experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Strong ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with staff at all levels and in a team environment.
- Knowledge and experience with direct mail desirable.
- Knowledge and experience with digital forms of communications, including email, websites, texting and social media.
- Experience with email marketing systems like Action Network.
- Experience managing communications consultants and vendors desirable.
- Ability to effectively use social media tools to communicate with target groups.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design, UnionHall or other web CMS systems and VAN platforms desirable.
- Ability to use initiative to execute projects that may require definition.
- Proven ability to juggle several projects and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and interest in the labor movement, politics, progressive change, and/or seniors/retirees desirable.
Travel & Work hours
- Extended hours including weekends and travel required; may include temporary field assignments.
- Valid driver’s license required.