ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 has an opening for a Business Agent/Organizer working in our field office in Juneau, Alaska. This position reports to the Executive Director or designee and requires a flexible work schedule which may include evening and weekend assignments and travel.
The qualified candidate must exhibit a high level of commitment to the labor movement and the mission of ASEA/AFSCME Local 52, have union experience with collective bargaining agreements and be familiar with general organizing principles, be able to work in a team environment, possess working knowledge of labor law, possess excellent computer and communication skills – both written and verbal. The candidate must have the ability to motivate and lead while cultivating relationships with workers.
Examples of Duties:
- Contract administration and enforcement with the full range of independent investigation, preparation and presentation of arbitrations
- Represent ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 members in grievance hearings, administrative appeals, complaint hearings, Unfair Labor Practice hearings, illegal discrimination claims, job classification appeals, evaluation appeals, labor relations research, agency hearings, pre- and post- hearing brief writing
- Build union visibility through worksite visits and meetings and identifying local worksite issues and planning and organizing worker actions to address workplace problems
- Helps develop and implement strategies to involve union members in activities that build the local union's capacity to effectively represent employees in its jurisdiction, including internal communication and member mobilization
- Recruit and develop leaders, train stewards, member organizers in advocacy and organizing roles
Minimum of four years of experience as a steward, union officer, business agent or organizer are required. Other professional advocacy experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis. College degree preferred; however, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted if it is supported by totally relevant experience.
ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 is an 8,100 member Union representing professional, technical, administrative support, and essential employees (employees who cannot strike) in the State of Alaska and Municipal Employees in the City of Sitka and Fairbanks North Star Borough-Supervisors. All Local 52 employees are represented by Laborer’s Local 341.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants send cover letter, resume & a writing sample to the attention of:
MaryAnn Ganacias, Assistant Executive Director
Email: email@example.com or Fax (907) 277-5206
ASEA/AFSCME Local 52, 2601 Denali Street, Anchorage, AK 99503