Field Office Assistant I
This position serves as administrative staff in support of a Regional or Area Office. The incumbent’s responsibilities may vary among area offices, with the level of activity and the number of staff in each office determining the level of support that is required.
- Performs administrative duties, receives visitors, determines needs and assists where appropriate.
- Receives, opens, date stamps and distributes mail. Prioritizes Area Director's or other support staff mail and handles routine requests.
- Prepares correspondence such as letters, memos, reports and other documents according to guidelines. Proofreads for accuracy, grammar, and punctuation. Duplicates and circulates documents.
- Prepares APT forms, ensuring accuracy of EAF numbers and forwards to the International for processing.
- Inventories and orders supplies.
- Makes hotel and airline reservations as requested. Prepares travel itinerary and confirms all plans.
- Makes arrangements for conferences and organizing meetings.
- Assists in preparation of APTs for submission to headquarters for processing. May serve as a liaison to vendors to resolve payment discrepancies.
- Enters and tracks attendance, expense reports, travel authorizations, and leave requests. Filing as needed.
- Maintains postage meter machine.
- Establishes and maintains office files and follows the established archive retention schedule.
- Maintains monthly and quarterly project reports. Responsible for follow-up with staff on budget and recordkeeping needs.
- Maintains electronic files for organizing and budgetary purposes (includes entering new data, updating or modifying existing data and ensuring quality control of record entry).
- Runs various pre-established reports from budgetary and organizing files. Creates or modifies file and report formats.
- Uses Microsoft Office software for letters, reports and basic leaflets.
- Performs standard file maintenance to ensure that information is protected from loss.
- May process dues; and transmit appropriate payment and documentation to the International Union, chapters or locals, central labor councils, and insurance carriers.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
Education & Experience:
High school graduate or equivalent and office experience, including the proficient use of software programs to provide the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of office equipment, such as copier, scanner, telephone and fax machines and other similar machinery.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to proofread and compose simple correspondence.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical computations.
- Communication skills sufficient to exchange routine information.