Software Quality Engineer
Agile Six Applications
Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
We embrace open source software and an open ethos regarding software development, and are looking for a candidate who does the same. Most importantly, we are looking for someone with a passion for working on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
The team will be contributing to the following GitHub repositories, and potentially others within the VA ecosystem:
- Play a leading role in defining and implementing effective quality assurance strategies and processes across the project, and refining our development practices to match
- Oversee all aspects of quality assurance including identifying subjects for metrics and logging, applying industry best practices, enhancing code review and other processes, and developing new tools and processes to ensure quality goals are met
- Write and support browser-based behavioral tests, such as Cypress or similar
- Work as part of a distributed/remote cross-functional team that includes designers, engineers, content strategists, and user researchers to create a world-class content authoring and publishing experience
- Understand and communicate the requirements for our product, how it is architected to meet those requirements, and how their fulfillment can be validated effectively
- Leverage emerging technologies and practices around Testing, DevOps, cloud services, AI, automation tools, etc. where appropriate in the course of daily work to improve efficiency and/or quality
- Oversee and refine defect management processes, supporting our ability to identify, record, track, and verify resolution of defects
- Communicate effectively to team members and stakeholders with various levels of technical experience
- Ensure compliance with accessibility standards, performance, security, and usability of the product, in partnership with our accessibility engineers, UX engineers, and others
- Maintain and update documentation relating to quality assurance activities
- Support the practice of engineering within the larger company as needed through activities such as:
- Assisting in outreach, recruitment, and hiring efforts
- Occasionally participating in or otherwise supporting business development efforts, including code or design challenges, writing or reviewing proposal responses, etc.
- Participating in communities of practice
- We expect the responsibilities of this position to shift and grow organically over time, in response to considerations such as the unique strengths and interests of the selected candidate and other team members and an evolving understanding of the delivery environment.
- 5+ of experience as a software engineer, with a significant portion of that experience in a role focusing on test automation, CI/CD pipeline automation, testing, or quality assurance
- Proven track record of designing, implementing, and maintaining robust test automation processes and tools
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and tools such as Jenkins, Git, GitHub Actions
- Comfort with UNIX-like operating systems and their characteristics, related processes and tools, troubleshooting, shell scripting, etc
- Experience working on teams following Agile and DevOps methodologies
- Ability to work independently on high complexity tasks
- Experience in an open-source, collaborative development environment
- Has lived and worked in the United States for 3 out of the last 5 years
Additional desired qualifications
- Experience in establishing and guiding QA standards, tooling, and processes in an Agile & DevOps environment
- Experience with Drupal, Laravel, and/or Symfony
- Experience working in or with government agencies, especially the VA
- Previously contributed to at least one open source project
- U.S. Veteran
Salary and Sixer Benefits
To promote equal pay for equal work, we publish salary ranges for each position.
The salary for this position is $138,359-$145,454.
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are available to all employees. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not bossy), be caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first”.
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Paid parental leave
- Self-managed professional development spending
- Self-managed wellness days
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.