Site Reliability Engineer
Agile Six Applications
Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
We're looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join a talented and purpose-driven cross-functional team partnering with CDC to build a crucial component of the future state public health ecosystem known as the North Star Architecture. In this role, you will be instrumental in the development of an intermediary national-level solution for Case surveillance, improving roundtrip case data flow, and automating the outbound flow of requested information from the CDC.
The right candidate will have an intrinsic interest and significant professional experience in creating and maintaining reliable systems; and in automating the operational aspects of software development — including builds, testing, and deployments — within a modern development ecosystem that includes containers, infrastructure as code, and cloud infrastructure and services. You embrace open source software and an open ethos regarding software development. You understand that security needs to be built into components and operational processes from the start, and have the experience and skill to provide guidance to other team members in doing so. Most importantly, you bring your skill and passion to work within and as part of the team, not outside of it.
**Please note, this role is anticipated pending contract award response.
- Contribute as part of a cross functional Agile team to build a large, scalable, cloud-based web services and/or applications in an open source ecosystem
- Lead architectural design decisions to build more resilient systems, using software development principles and best practices to produce testable and robust software
- Automate the building, testing, and deployment of services and applications and other operational processes
- Maintain, enhance, and leverage infrastructure running in Azure Cloud
- Develop infrastructure as code using GitHub Actions
- Leverage automatic provisioning tools and frameworks to rapidly provision development and production infrastructure
- Implement application/service health monitoring, as well as processes for responding to alerts
- Ensure the availability of all systems and environments as appropriate based on needs, SLAs, etc.
- Be available for on-call rotation for urgent incidents
- Support the practice of engineering within the larger company as needed through activities such as:
- Assisting in outreach, recruitment, and hiring efforts
- Occasionally participating in or otherwise supporting business development efforts, including code or design challenges, writing or reviewing proposal responses, etc.
- Participating in communities of practice
- We expect the responsibilities of this position to shift and grow organically over time, in response to considerations such as the unique strengths and interests of the selected candidate and other team members and an evolving understanding of the delivery environment.
- At least 10 years experience as a software engineer, with at least 5 years as a Site Reliability and/or DevOps engineer whose primary responsibilities included automating the operational aspects of development
- Broad and deep software development expertise — i.e. have encountered and solved a wide range of engineering problems in your career
- Experience working on an Agile team and demonstrating an Agile mindset
- Ability and interest in learning new languages, tools, and frameworks
- Ability to work independently on medium-to-high complexity tasks
- Experience in an open-source, collaborative development environment
- Passion for open source software development and an open ethos
- Able to work autonomously and self manage as part of a remote team
- An expert at creating and maintaining secure DevOps infrastructure and tooling
- Well-versed in modern application development practices, infrastructure, and tools
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing on open forums, including GitHub, Slack, and Zoom
- Has lived and worked in the United States for 3 of the last 5 years
Additional desired qualifications
- Experience with Healthcare data interoperability standards such as FHIR and HL7 Version 2
- Experience writing and supporting automated tests and delivering quality metrics .
- Experience programming in Kotlin and/or Groovy
- Experience developing in the Azure cloud
- Experience with container platforms such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with the US Web Design System
- Experience working in or with government agencies
- You are a U.S. Veteran
Salary and Sixer Benefits
To promote equal pay for equal work, we publish salary ranges for each position.
The salary for this position is $155,909 - $163,905
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are available to all employees. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not bossy), be caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first”.
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Paid parental leave
- Self-managed professional development spending
- Self-managed wellness days
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.