Social Media Strategist
Alliance for Safety and Justice
Location: Remote; East coast or West coast preferred, but not required; United States
Division: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time, exempt
Who We Are
Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a national advocacy organization that aims to replace ineffective criminal justice system policies with what works to keep people safe. We represent diverse crime survivors as well as people living with old records as key public safety stakeholders. ASJ brings our members together with state leaders and coalition partners to win reforms that stop cycles of crime, reduce costly incarceration, and make communities safer. We support a range of “shared safety” reforms, including crime prevention, community health, rehabilitation, economic mobility, and trauma recovery. For more information, visit: https://allianceforsafetyandjustice.org.
Who You Are
The Social Media Strategist will be passionate about growing our social media footprint and connections across Alliance for Safety and Justice across all social media channels, including existing accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, as well as launch new channels on TikTok and other emerging channels as appropriate. You’ll represent ASJ’s brand and be the arbiter of our external tone and voice. The person in this role will partner with other social media staff integrated across ASJ’s core programs to align social media strategies across sub-brands, build compelling content with organization-wide relevance and add to the capacity and efficiency of the social media team. This role will also offer social media support to key organizational leaders, including the President, CEO and VP.
What You Will Do
Social Media Account Management & Content Development for the Organization’s Flagship brand (70%)
- In partnership with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Creative Director and other Marketing Communications Division staff:
- Grow the organization's brand awareness among key audiences
- Develop and define the ASJ voice on all social media channels
- Define key audiences and KPIs for social media channels
- Align social media strategy with other marketing communications strategies, including media relations, email marketing, brand and paid campaigns
- Manage social media contractors and agencies to produce excellent work that delivers on our objectives
- Lead the content strategy, implementation and development of social media strategies and accompanying assets for Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) social media channels
- Drive growth in impressions, engagement and audience on all ASJ channels:
- Develop and deploy compelling original written, photo and video content that aligns with brand guidelines; partner with the creative team and vendors to develop assets as needed;
- Engage with social media audiences, including responding to messages and comments in real-time, proactively engaging with influencers, and addressing audience feedback with immediacy
- Implement paid strategies as appropriate in partnership with appropriate staff and vendors
- Own the social media editorial calendar, including scheduling, publishing, tracking success and areas of improvement
- Monitor and share digital and industry latest trends and best practices and use insights to develop effective and engaging social media campaigns
- Provide regular strategic analysis / reporting on ASJ-specific social media channel growth and impact
Cross-Brand Social Media Strategy and Content Development (20%)
- Meet regularly with social media staff who run ASJ sub brand social media channels to understand their channel priorities, goals and needs as well as align strategies and share ideas
- Create social media content that can be utilized across all organizational social media channels and / or customized per each channel’s unique audience and voice
- Provide regular strategic analysis / reporting on social media growth and impact across the organization’s social channels and subbrands
- Provide strategic guidance and thought partnership to social media staff
Executive Team Social Media Strategy and Support (10%)
- Partner with key executive staff on social media strategy for their social media accounts, particularly LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
- Provide training, technical assistance and coaching as needed
- Develop custom content to support growth of executive staff social media accounts
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in social media with at least 5 years experience leading the content strategy, development and growth of organizations and brands.
- Extensive experience analyzing and reporting about social media channels to derive key insights and inform strategic direction
- Keen eye for design and proven experience producing compelling creative assets while adhering to brand guidelines and conventions
- Experience coaching and advising social media marketing and other staff on strategy
- Ability to pivot quickly and in response to emerging or shifting organizational needs and priorities
Preferred Experience & Qualifications
- Experience establishing and growing a brand strategy on TikTok
- Experience with social media management platforms, especially Sprout social
- Experience running social media for organizations or brands with multiple sub brands
- Experience in online political organizing and movement building
- Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Occasional to frequent travel may be required
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers and stakeholders; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Compensation and Benefits
We care deeply about our staff wellness. ASJ offers a competitive benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, a robust 403(b) retirement match, generous paid time off, a professional development allowance, and more. The salary range for this role is $90,000- $100,000, and will be offered commensurate with experience.
Applications should be submitted via the posting link on ASJ’s jobs page. Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest in ASJ, the role, and your related experience, your resume, and 3-4 professional references.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people who are systems impacted, women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Something looks off?