National Engineering Manager
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2021. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to advance policies and win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition deployed their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort to millions of voters. In 2021-2022, the coalition will be on the ground educating and mobilizing voters.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is seeking an experienced individual with a combination of technical and political skills to manage data efforts related to tracking and reporting voter contact data. The Engineering Manager will work with national data staff, vendors, and partner data representatives around building, tracking, assessing, and reporting of coalition voter contact efforts, including maintaining data pipelines and analyzing datasets. This is a permanent, full-time position and reports to the Engineering Director.
The location for this position is flexible. Some travel and reasonable access to an airport is required. America Votes has offices located in DC and CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working remotely; however if you are based in a state with an America Votes office, a hybrid approach may be possible at this time, depending on local guidance.
- Combining and reconciling contact data (e.g. scale, targeting) across multiple channels and organizations.
- Building infrastructure to enable reporting on coverage, identifying gaps, and providing recommendations to change or augment voter contact universes.
- Maintain and enhance existing ETL data pipelines.
- Perform peer code review and quality assurance.
- Spec out requirements, milestones, and goals for projects with key stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least two years of experience in data analytics, consulting, or similar quantitative roles.
- Experience in drawing out strategic decisions from imperfect data and translating them into actionable insights for stakeholders and audiences of varying backgrounds.
- Fluency in SQL and either Python or R.
- Experience in building clear visualizations and understanding the landscape of visualization tools.
- The ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities at once, while also communicating with stakeholders the progress and timeline for delivering on tasks and projects.
- Desire to educate, mentor, and develop junior to mid-level team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional approach to communicating with partners, team members, and vendors.
- A creative and collaborative approach to problem-solving and commitment to progressive values.
- Ability to thrive on change as tools, products, and programs evolve.
- 2+ years of experience writing SQL for both exploratory data analysis and reporting tools.
- 2+ years of experience in using scientific programming languages for data analysis (e.g. Python, R, Julia; Python strongly preferred).
- Experience with version control systems such as Git.
- Experience using APIs to construct data synchronizations.
- Strong attention to detail, including producing technical documentation.
- Candidates should be familiar with the issue advocacy process, and targeting and planning using voter files.
- 2+ years of experience producing consumer-friendly reports and visual depictions for both executive and operations audiences (Tableau strongly preferred).
The salary for this position will be between $70,000-$75,000 and depend upon the applicant’s experience. America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 90% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, paid sick leave and personal days, at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth, as well as paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1. The position is represented by the America Votes Workers Union.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.