- Washington, DC, USA
- 85000-95000 per year
- Full Time
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections, and protect every American's right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes' work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues - from fighting for working families, defending reproductive rights, protecting the environment, and more - and mobilized millions of voters.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections, and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
Racial Equity Statement
As a leader of collaborative efforts to mobilize voters, protect voting rights, and win elections, America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity within our organization and across our coalition. We acknowledge the systematic racism that permeates all facets of our society, beginning with the foundational right to vote. America Votes is also engaging with an understanding of the ways gender, sexuality and other forms of oppression intersect with race and how those relationships impact inequities faced by our staff, our partners, and the communities that we engage in our work. America Votes strives to model our commitment to racial equity through our internal and external operations, programs, and partnerships. We acknowledge the inequitable structures that continue to exist and are moving forward with a sustained commitment in time, resources and people to challenge structural racism and work towards creating a reflective organization and democracy.
America Votes is looking for an Analytics Engineer to help make our data accessible, reliable, and useful so staff and partners can better use it to win elections and drive progressive change. This is a deeply collaborative role. We are looking for someone who is excited about talking to staff to understand their analytics needs, writing code to transform and clean data, and helping teammates use the tables you create in queries and reports. We would prefer someone with previous experience using data build toolstool (dbt), but we are open to a candidate with strong SQL skills who has not worked in dbt but is excited to learn, especially if you have previous political experience.
This is a permanent, full-time bargaining unit position that reports to the Analytics Director.
- Lead work to improve the dbt project we use to transform data in our warehouse. This includes creating new dbt models, refactoring existing code, adding tests to make code more reliable, and writing lots of clear, useful documentation.
- Collaborate with national and state data staff to understand their analytics needs. Create tables and sample code to meet these needs, and work directly with other data staff to help them make use of the tools you create.
- Propose and help implement data infrastructure changes, with a focus on collaborating with other political organizations around shared data standards and implementing best practices from the broader analytics engineering community.
- Serve as a utility player who can pitch in on analytics projects when needed.
- Excellent SQL skills; experience writing SQL queries and scripts to clean and transform data for analysis. Commitment to writing clean, readable, well documented and high-quality code.
- Either previous experience using data build tool (dbt) to transform data, or other experience with data transformation and an interest in learning dbt.
- Experience using git and other command line tools.
- A service oriented approach to data work that prioritizes collaboration, supporting staff and partners, and building for the long term.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working or volunteering on a political campaign or with a progressive organization, especially in a data role.
- An understanding of voter file and voter contact data from tools like NGP/VAN.
- Experience using Python, R, or a similar language for data transformation and analysis.
- Knowledge of statistical methods such as regression or predictive modeling, experience analyzing and presenting insights from data.
- Comfort with airflow or other cloud orchestration tools.
- Understanding of unit testing, CI/CD, and other software engineering best practices.
- Hiring Manager Resume Review
- Initial Hiring Manager Interview (45 min)
- Technical Assessment (done on own time, asked to limit to 4 hours)
- Final Interview (45 minutes)
- Reference Check
How you'll ramp
- 30 days: Get the overview of our data stack, understand the main models in our dbt project and how we use the resulting tables.
- 60 days: Meet with other data staff to understand how they use our data and what needs they have, then start scoping and prioritizing changes to our dbt project to meet those needs.
- 90 days: Contribute to our dbt project by creating a new model, adding tests, or improving documentation. Document and roll out these changes to state data staff.
The location for this position is flexible. Some travel and reasonable access to an airport is required. America Votes has offices located in DC and CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working remotely; however, if you are based in a state with an America Votes office, a hybrid approach may be possible at this time, depending on local guidance.
The salary for this position will be between $85,000 - 95,000 and depends upon the applicant's experience. America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 90% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, paid sick leave and personal days, at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth, as well as paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1. The position is represented by the America Votes Workers Union.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Share This Page
Something looks off?