Business Development Manager
BerlinRosen is a fast-growing, full-service communications firm with more than 300 communications and campaign strategists in New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. Since its founding in 2005, BerlinRosen has powerfully expanded its presence in corporate, social impact/ESG, nonprofit, entertainment, media, racial justice, healthcare, hospitality, real estate, architecture, design, urbanism, land use, lifestyle, technology, issue advocacy and workers’ rights communications. We have received more than 50 awards and recognitions, including being the only agency to be named #1 on Observer’s PR Power List for three consecutive years, PR Week's Outstanding Large Agency (2023), PRNews’ Large PR Agency of the Year (2021) and 5/5 Stars on Forbes’ latest Best PR Agencies in America list.
From leading technological innovators, to institutions that help our cities thrive, to nonprofits and leaders at the forefront of the most pressing progressive causes of our time; we take a strategy-first, results-focused approach to communications challenges, delivering high impact media, digital strategy and advertising to our clients.
People of color, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. BerlinRosen is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and we are committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
ABOUT THE GROWTH TEAM
The Growth team is responsible for shaping firm- and network-wide new business strategy, driving new business outreach and guiding and executing our marketing strategy. We thrive on our ability to weave together our firm’s unique communications approach into winning pitches and lift up the firm as a leader for external audiences—from new clients to PR-pros to the biggest movers and shakers in the country. We are a highly-efficient team with an industry-leading new client win rate.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
BerlinRosen is seeking a Business Development Manager to join our Growth team. This person will provide business insights, strategic guidance and tactical support to the firm’s advocacy and nonprofit-focused client teams, helping identify and secure new business opportunities with major nonprofit, philanthropic, advocacy and labor organizations. This role will require strong project management and writing skills, as well as an ability to deftly maneuver diverse issue areas. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of political, cultural and advocacy issues, strong business acumen and firm organizational skills. A background in business development is preferred, but not required.
Please note this is not a sales role and cold calls are not involved. Rather we are looking for business strategists who can help best position staff for sustained relationships with high-value clients.
Role location: Ideally, candidates will be based in our Washington, D.C. office, though can also be based in our New York, N.Y. office, on a hybrid basis. The Growth team is in-office 2-3 days per week. Proof of vaccination is required to work in any of BerlinRosen’s offices.
ACCOUNTABILITIES & QUALIFICATIONS
As a Business Development Manager on the Growth team, you will...
- Focus on business development strategy and content development to support the firm’s nonprofit, labor, advocacy and philanthropic practice areas
- Lead multiple projects at once while engaging with many different people and personalities, coordinating between teams, researching new projects and drafting tailor-made, engaging written content
- Be a key strategic member of this dynamic, scaling team under the Executive Vice President of Growth
- Interface with the client teams and oversee and draft client pitches, proposals and responses to RFPs by drawing on practice area knowledge, as well as overseeing related assignments such as client research
- 3-5+ years of professional experience across relevant backgrounds such as public relations, legal, professional services or business sectors
- Experience in business development, including drafting new business proposals and producing tailored research (note: this is not a sales job)
- Excellent project management skills and able to prioritize work streams and track progress across multiple teams
- Expert multitasking skills with the ability to handle multiple projects at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail
- Strong writing and research skills that ensure that every stone is overturned along with the creation of sharp, compelling content
- Strong proficiency in Google Docs and Google Slides
Note: Interested in this role but it’s not quite the right match? Applicants who meet some but not all or exceed the above criteria are still encouraged to apply! We are eager to speak with candidates with diverse backgrounds and can assess role leveling on an individual basis.
WORKING AT BERLINROSEN
Compensation philosophy: BerlinRosen offers competitive industry rate salary bands with the goal of retaining and growing talented individuals. We regularly review and adjust our compensation structure as needed to ensure equity across teams and levels.
The salary range for this role is commensurate with experience and is as follows:
- Starting minimum: $80,000
- Role cap: $110,000
Benefits: BerlinRosen will make sure that you have what you need to excel in your role, encourage self-care and drive professional development, including…
- 100% coverage of Health, Dental, and Vision insurance monthly premiums
- Company-sponsored Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Mental health assistance with company-sponsored memberships to Talkspace and Calm
- 401K with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- All incoming staff receive 36 days total of PTO, inclusive of general PTO, wellness days, collective PTO the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays and 11 paid bank holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Full mobile phone reimbursement for data and minutes
- Employer-funded life insurance
- Discounted annual bikeshare membership
- Corporate discounts through Tickets at Work
- Continuous skills training tailored to your role
Something looks off?