Account Director, Arts & Culture Public Relations
BerlinRosen is a fast-growing, full-service communications firm with more than 300 communications and campaign strategists in New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. Since its founding in 2005, BerlinRosen has powerfully expanded its presence in real estate, architecture, design, urbanism, land use, social impact/ESG, nonprofit, fine arts, education, media, racial justice, healthcare, hospitality, lifestyle, technology, issue advocacy and workers’ rights communications. We have received more than 50 awards and recognitions, including being the only agency to be named #1 on Observer’s PR Power List for three consecutive years, PR Week's Outstanding Large Agency (2023), PRNews’ Large PR Agency of the Year (2021) and 5/5 Stars on Forbes’ latest Best PR Agencies in America list.
Beginning in 2022, we’ve established partnerships with Onward, Derris, M18, Glen Echo Group Inkhouse and Message Lab, further integrating our agency and communications network while expanding our reach in DEI consulting and the consumer, lifestyle, real estate, hospitality and technology sectors.
People of color, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. BerlinRosen is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and we are committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
ABOUT THE CITIES TEAM
BerlinRosen’s Cities practice comprises over 70 communications professionals who bring a unique campaign-style approach to strategic communications. We work with visionary clients in New York, Los Angeles and other major cities across the country on issues ranging from urban planning, affordable housing, issue advocacy, social impact and progressive policy, public affairs, healthcare, higher education, real estate, travel, lifestyle, arts & culture and more. Whether it’s winning community and political support, policy change, elevating new projects and brands or launching some of our city's most visited attractions, we help our clients shape the future of cities.
The Arts & Culture team focuses on clients that will shape the future of New York and beyond -- from the built environment and design of the future, to the cultural institutions that make our city one of the most dynamic and exciting urban environments on Earth. We help visionary companies in the arts, architecture, design, higher education and real estate that are shaping the future of cities. We are working in partnership with some of the most forward-looking institutions in and around NYC, including the Queens Museum, Princeton University Art Museum, BAM, Lincoln Center, 92NY, The Juilliard School and the Brooklyn Public Library, among many others.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
BerlinRosen is seeking an Account Director to join our growing Arts & Culture team. In this role, you will create strategies and promote programs that drive media and consumers to attend events, exhibits and openings. You will work with a team of expert colleagues and lead the day- to-day account flow by managing junior staff and client relations.
Role location: This role is based in our New York, N.Y. office on a hybrid basis. The Cities team is in-office 2 days per week.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
As an Account Director on the Cities team, you will…
- Lead development of large-scale communications strategies along with teammates
- Drive high-touch, daily client communications with the same client leads: brainstorming, flagging concerns and problem-solving
- Manage a team of junior staff on each account you lead, strategically influencing deliverables’ quality and staff development by delegating, modeling smart practices and providing feedback
- Conceptualize and drive new story angles and other media opportunities for clients: such as landing feature stories even when there is no news to announce, or drafting a persuasive and compelling pitch on behalf of a client for a high-profile interview, award or conference
- Work closely with senior team leaders on capacity planning to ensure that the team is running efficiently
- Place numerous stories through persistence and creativity, identifying new targets and trying new approaches until the story lands
- Contribute to business development and growth efforts
- At least 6 years of experience working in strategic communications in the arts and culture industry with a PR agency, media outlet or in-house communications team
- Understanding of the art world and a demonstrated personal interest in visual and performing arts
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to provide examples of pitches and other materials that clearly demonstrate these capabilities
- At least 1 year of experience managing a client team or equivalent
- Versatile writer who is comfortable and well-versed in writing in an informal, conversational tone and addressing people more formally when necessary
- Savviness and creativity in media relations and pitching, social media content ideation and influencer engagement with the knowledge to identify new targets and thoughtful angles until the story lands
- Ability to confidently communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of staff, clients, the media and is comfortable thinking on their feet
- Organized and used to a fast-paced environment with the capability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to become a savvy and nimble student of the “news” and quickly identify new media opportunities and narratives to insert our clients’ voices into the news cycle
Note: Interested in this role but it’s not quite the right match? Applicants who meet some but not all or exceed the above criteria are still encouraged to apply! We are eager to speak with candidates with diverse backgrounds and can assess role leveling on an individual basis.
WORKING AT BERLINROSEN
Compensation philosophy: BerlinRosen offers competitive industry rate salary bands with the goal of retaining and growing talented individuals. We regularly review and adjust our compensation structure as needed to ensure equity across teams and levels.
Salary range (commensurate with experience and skills): $110,000-$130,000
Account Directors are eligible for end of year bonuses based on firm, team and individual performance.
- 100% coverage of Health, Dental, and Vision insurance monthly premiums
- Pre-tax Health Savings Account Savings Plan (HSA-SP) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Mental health assistance with company-sponsored memberships to Talkspace and Calm
- 401K with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- 20 vacation days, 10 wellness days, 1 day for your birthday, collective PTO between Christmas and New Year’s Day, plus 11 holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Mobile phone reimbursement for data and minutes
- Employer-funded life insurance
- Discounted annual bikeshare membership
To ensure that applicants are matched with the job that best suits their qualifications and interests, information that you submit may be shared with our subsidiaries, Onward, Glen Echo Group, Derris, M18, Inkhouse and Message Lab.
By providing your information, you are consenting to allow us and our subsidiaries to keep your information on file and to contact you regarding job opportunities, recruitment events and other related updates.