Project Assistant - Technical Assistance Program
Blacks in Green
Who we are:
Blacks in Green™ (BIG™) has pioneered environmental economic development for the benefit of Black America since 2007 ~ a 501c3 non-profit tackling pollution and poverty with a goal of closing America’s racial health/wealth gap via the new green economy.
We are building economies in energy, horticulture, housing, tourism, and waste via our Sustainable Square Mile™ model. Our model reinvents the “walk-to-work, walk-to-shop, walk-to-learn, walk-to-play” village where African Americans own the businesses and the land and live the conservation lifestyle ~ as a buffer against the well-known disproportionate harms of climate change on communities of color. We are a community-based organization with national reach and are building our capacity in support of our selection as the Environmental Protection Agency’s Technical Assistance Program (TCTAC) in Region 5.
We are looking for a motivated, driven and committed individual who can assist in all the programs at Blacks in Green but particularly, our technical assistance program. The person in this role provides support to our Region 5 Director of the TCTAC.
- Assist in administrative duties such as scheduling meetings, providing agenda items, meeting minutes and suggesting action items with guidance from the Project Manager and Regional Director.
- Collaborate with staff, partners, and stakeholders to ensure projects/action items are completed on time, within budget, and to the highest standard.
- Support project managers in development and maintenance of project schedules, budgets, and risk management plans.
- Lead project team meetings and communicate progress updates to stakeholders with guidance from project managers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and partners, including local government officials, community leaders, and business owners.
- Assist in developing metrics and objectives for successful grant program implementation with associated workflow processes.
- Supporting the design and development of new systems and tools to support grant administration and technical assistance programs.
- Bachelor's degree in project management, business administration, or a related field.
- 2-5 years of previous experience in project delivery, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
- Strong leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Soft skills and the ability to gain consensus from a disparate group of people to work toward a common goal.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks.
- Proficient in Google, Word, and Microsoft suite – well-versed in tips, tools and shortcuts.
- Experience with project management software and tools.
- Passion for the mission of Blacks in Green and a commitment to closing America's racial health/wealth gap.
- Knowledge of grant writing and fundraising processes.
- Experience in community development, environmental economic development, or related fields.
Salary & Benefits:
- Annual Compensation: $65,000-$75,000 based on qualifications
- Insurance coverage includes medical, dental and vision.
- Paid major holidays and 10 sick paid days per year.
- Tuition Assistance Program for professional development.
Application Process & Start Date:
Submit a complete application packet consisting of a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications containing all requested documents will be considered. All hires will successfully complete a 3-month contractor period before transitioning to employee status. We are an in-person team primarily located in Chicago. The position is offered with a flexible work schedule of up to 50% remote work.
- Subject line: BIG-TCTAC Project Assistant
- Application closing date: October 11, 2023
- Anticipated Interview: Week of October 16, 2023
- Anticipated start date: November 13, 2023
Blacks in Green™ is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages members of our community, indigenous allies, leaders of color, women, and persons identifying as LGBTQI to apply.
BIG! Blacks in Green™ is registered with the Internal Revenue Service as BIG, NFP. Our mailing address is 6011 S. St. Lawrence Avenue, Chicago, Il, 606037 and our website is https://www.blacksingreen.org